This loose bolt: What is it and should I be worried? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

This loose bolt: What is it and should I be worried?

Was changing my oil yesterday and noticed this bolt loose... I tried tightening it but it won't go, the nut feels like it's spinning freely.. it's just dangling there. its entirely enclosed by the frame so I can't get to it (i couldn't feel any access at least). I can very easily push it in and it very easily falls back into place. It's driver side, at the rear of the subframe, kind of under where the driver's feet would be if I had to guess.

What does this hold? Should I be worried? This obviously seems like a problem but it also appears to be somewhat auxiliary to me..

Here's a close-up

and the same picture, zoomed out a little

Last edited by Ochy38; 08-11-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Figured it out over on saabcentral.. its a bolt that goes into the steering rack. Red arrow depicts where.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Will you be able to tighten it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Elder

probably only critical if you want steering control long-term.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Will you be able to tighten it?
I sure hope so. A member on the board said I could come at it from the bottom, or the top, but looking from the top I have a hard time even seeing it. I'll get on it this weekend when I have access to my ramps and try from the bottom first.

I have no idea how this could have happened or how long it's been this way. My indie dropped the subframe about a year ago, which is my only guess at this point. I've had it aligned recently, but I doubt they'd touch that bolt at all.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Looks like a nut and bolt, you'd have to put a spanner on the top nut while cranking down the bottom one. That's why its spinning.

The rack does need to be unbolted when dropping the sub frame I believe.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Just to close this up, I got it tightened up this weekend. I found the easiest way was to remove the drivers side wheel and come at it from the hole in the fender & bottom. I couldnt see it from the top, and with ramps and a creeper I didn't have enough clearance to get that far back under the car. It was about a half an inch loose, and there was still another half an inch to go on the threads.. long screw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in