New to 9-5's! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Troup
New to 9-5's!

Hey guys, Me and another Saab buddy recently picked up a 9-5 with a slipping transmission. It drives ok using the L-3-4 gears --shifting manually. The plan was to part it, but it's in too nice of condition to do that. SO, we are fixing it up.

I'm assuming the worst that it needs a new transmission. It's a 2002 and from what I've heard, it's kind of a iffy year with different parts than other 1st generation 9-5's. I'm wondering if I'll run into any problems if I swap a earlier 9-5 transmission into it?

Also, does anyone have any insight on repairing the existing trans? I don't know too much about automatics, but it seems like it could possibly be something simple since it does drive. (I was able to drive 75 MPH over a 100 miles home)

What else is different about these 2002's?

Thanks for any input guys!

-Jon

Here's a picture of it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Espresso Black
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Glacier Blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Those early 5spd autos were known for valve body issues. Usually delayed shifts/engagements and banging between gears. If it's slipping I'm thinking the problem has been getting progressively worse over time, so you may be putting in a tranny. As a 9k guy, you will HATE replacing the trans in a 9-5.
I would start by replacing the fluid and see if it improves at all (atf 3309)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

A flush is a good start, you might be throwing away the money though.

Eay 9-5's are 4 spd, 1999-2001. 5sp came in 02 and physically it would probably interchange, but I don't know what would have to be done to make it shift right. Better off going same for same, and maybe buying a few years later hoping saab fixed the issues.

The 9000 may be easy to swap a trans in, but the 9-5 is not hard. Have to remove drive axles and Anythjng attached to trans (shifter etc). After that drop the subframe, and pull trans casing bolts them the trans mount. It's really no different than other autos.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #4

I'm with Seriks on this one. Swapping the transmission on the 9-5 was not fun at all. The 9000 is superior.

I sourced a transmission from a 2003 9-5 and got it installed. We're still having trouble, different trouble.

It was throwing 2 gearbox codes when we got it, one for a torque converter and one for pressure solenoids.

Now it's throwing a P0748 -Line Pressure Control Solenoid

We can clear the codes and the car will start off driving normally. Sometimes it'll make it into 2nd gear normally. Other times when it starts to shift into a higher gear, it just rev's like mad. Usually if you let off the accelerator it'll stay in the higher gear. You can do this all the way up into 5th gear. The trouble codes will come back at random and the transmission goes back into limp mode where it's no longer driveable in "drive" (This is the condition we originally got the car in... Drives normally in L-4, shifting when appropriate)

Any ideas?

We do still have a new set of solenoids that we tried to fix the original transmission with. (unsuccessfully).

It's a pain to do, so I'd rather not unless it's absolutely necessary.

I guess my question is, is there some other process of marrying a different transmission to the car?

I'd hate to think that I pulled another bad transmission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Have you done software update via Tech-2? Could be the root to all problems

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-07-2015, 04:40 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

The 2002 did have some issues as the 1st year of the 5 speed. However they are correctable without removing the transmission. Do some more research on the 2002.
One guy you can contact is unclemiltie over at saab central. Check out his posts or PM him. He has extensive write ups on this issue.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanTheTerrible View Post
Have you done software update via Tech-2? Could be the root to all problems

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
We have not done this. Unfortunately we don't have access to a tech2. Can you explain what this update does?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
The 2002 did have some issues as the 1st year of the 5 speed. However they are correctable without removing the transmission. Do some more research on the 2002.
One guy you can contact is unclemiltie over at saab central. Check out his posts or PM him. He has extensive write ups on this issue.
We did do some research and learned about the 2002 issues, and that's why we purchased new solenoids to install in the original transmission. When that didn't fix the problem, I found a transmission from a 2003. To recap, that's landed us at a less crappy problem, but still messed up.

Thanks for the info on Unclemiltie,I'll look into that.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in