Oil Consumption: should I be worried? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Oil Consumption: should I be worried?

Posted this over at saabcentral, but figured I'd ask for more insight from you all here:

Should this be a cause for concern? 00 aero, about 135kmi on it. Did an oil change this weekend and only drained 2.75qts with filter out of it after about 5500 miles. I was running 0w40 for the first time and I'm pretty sure I put about 4.2 qts in... I haven't noticed any white smoke coming from the exhaust ever.. the exhaust tip does seem to get dirty a lot quicker than I'd imagine, though.

I'm gonna be doing a ton of miles on the highway this year, between Albany NY and Philadelphia probably twice a month, so I want this thing to be reliable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

This question has been asked a few times here, but I'll answer it again.

All but one of my Trionic 7 cars have used a little bit of oil. Some more than others. The best thing to do is make sure the PCV system is the most updated, and that your check valve near the valve cover is functioning correctly and not broken.

Other than that, top it up every once in a while and keep driving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Elder

It sounds like you should be checking your oil level more often, using the dipstick, between changes.

Some usage is very normal, a quart +/- a few tenths over 5500 miles sounds pretty normal and okay. You just want to make sure you don't run it out of oil

Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
It sounds like you should be checking your oil level more often, using the dipstick, between changes.

Some usage is very normal, a quart +/- a few tenths over 5500 miles sounds pretty normal and okay. You just want to make sure you don't run it out of oil
Yea, plan on keeping an eye on it from time to time. Any clue on how much drop on the dipstick equates to how much oil to add? It's definitely not the best design..
Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Elder

The checkered square portion of the plastic tip on the dipstick is 1 quart between the lines from bottom to top.

This is true of almost all cars as a handy bit of knowledge.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Checkered square portion ? Is there such a thing on 99+ car's. I've always had a bubble tip to a square center with no "checkering". You wan't to make sure you have it leveled off atleast somewhere in the square portion.

They are the worst dipstick's ever to read.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

I was also losing just over a full quart of oil @ around 3k miles under normal driving. I changed a check valve in my pcv system and its down significantly from that.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I was also losing just over a full quart of oil @ around 3k miles under normal driving. I changed a check valve in my pcv system and its down significantly from that.
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Elder

It's the square center section. Sorry, the 9-3SS the portion you read is checkered, on the T7 engines they are smooth.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #10

There is a new version of the dipstick as well. My original stick was hard to read as the sinker was dark colored. I don't know when but they changed the sinker to something much lighter color. I got a new one and it was much easier to read.

Of course, it could just be an age thing, as that sinker could absorb some of the gunk in the oil over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in