Cold, wet morning. Car won't start. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #1
TSLMember

Cold, wet morning. Car won't start.

'01 Aero Wagon MT @ 197k

It's been rainy these past few days, and cold. This morning it dipped into the high 30's. Left the house, it was high-40's. Car cranked and cranked but wouldn't fire up.

Put fresh gas in it last night. Cycled through the gears a few times this morning. Checked the connection to the DIC - appeared to be dry.

Any thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Cps?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
Cps?
Well that's a novel idea. Mine is certainly chewed up and old.. Thanks for the pointer, I'll order a new part and see if this solves the issue.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Are you running copper plugs ? how old are they ? they should be changed every 5-10k. I know my car skips are sputters on cold start ups on damp days with old plugs.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
TSLMember

So I replaced the CPS about an hour ago with a brand new one.. (how one T30 could provide me with so much pain I don't even know..) Car still turns but won't start. I'm assuming my DIC finally bit the dust or it's my fuel pump. I hate cars. Any other things I should be looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Are you running copper plugs ? how old are they ? they should be changed every 5-10k. I know my car skips are sputters on cold start ups on damp days with old plugs.
I replaced my plugs last oil change, about 4k ago. NGK BCPR7ES's..

Also, just noticed that priming sound you hear when you initially turn the key is no longer present. Checked the fuses and swapped corresponding relays around and still nothing. I hear two clicking sounds when the key is turned, one that sounds like it's coming from behind the instrument panel, and one in the engine bay.

Last edited by Slabonator; 06-02-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

sounds like a classic fuel pump. easy job with the right tool.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
sounds like a classic fuel pump. easy job with the right tool.
Yea, I've ordered a new fuel pump. Should arrive today. I've seen a few threads where people make a special tool out of a PVC pipe fitting - going to give that a shot, looks pretty straight foward. Since I can't run my car and pull the fuel pump fuse to let it depressurize, would disconnecting the external fuel filter do the trick? I'm expecting a gasoline bath in my backseat..
Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
TSLMember

Turned out to be the fuel pump. Nice little nest. (How do they get in??)

Little varmint chewed the wires, shorting the pump.

Found a how-to on saabcentral with pointers on making a PVC tool to remove the lock ring. Worked like a charm.

Car started right up!

But. One question. Around 3600rpm, when floored in 3rd gear the car skips and sputters. I'm guessing it's either a vac. leak (I'll check in the morning when the engine is cold) or I did something wrong re-assembling the fuel pump. I did have to cut a small section of old line that was attached to the old pump due to how hard it was, and used a pair of pliers (and vaseline) to get the remaining portion of line back onto the new pump... perhaps I pinched it or cut it in the process.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Elder

Might want to clamp the fix on the lines just to be sure. There is a fuel rail valve that you can measure fuel pressure with a standard gauge. I also would swap in a new/know good DI and plugs if you haven't already.

There is a chance that you could be hitting fuel cutoff/leaning out depending on which pump/injectors/airflow/intercooler, etc.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in