Fuel Pump Issue or Something Else? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Fuel Pump Issue or Something Else?

Attached is a video clip of the sound of the fuel pump with the mic right at the top of the fuel pump white top. In other words, pull back the rear seat, lift the top cover off, and I put the cellphone mic right on the white top so it sounds a good bit louder than what it does in real life, but the basic idea is there. Also, when cranking, that clicking sound you hear remains continuously.

How it happened...Car was filled up with gas, took it on a rather spirited run of 15 or so miles (until it died), going up some hills (nothing steep but hills nonetheless), and then when I stopped going fast, the car started to make a fluttering sound that was coming from under the car near the middle that lasted a few minutes, followed by a slight bogging of the engine, followed by car going completely dead with tachs flying all over the place and dash lights on.

Cranked a number of times and it just would not budge.

I did try the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and with the key in the on position, it does squirt out a little fuel, but it is very mild sprays...nothing at all like people that have done this have said where supposedly there is a good bit of pressure built up there and it can get all over you. Hard to describe but basically like a tiny mist shot, one time reaching as far as the battery, but never actually getting on my hands other than me touching it to release it. The most it shot was twice (touching it twice)...third time touched would be a drop or nothing at all. No fuel comes out after three touches of the valve.

And the sound....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyII...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Progression; 05-03-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #2

Sound Clip of the Pump while Priming/Key in On, and then while it is cranking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oHl...ature=youtu.be
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
Elder

The Schrader valve on the fuel rail can be tested using a standard fuel pressure gauge that you can borrow from Advanced auto, Autozone, etc, same as other non saab cars. That will tell if your getting real fuel pressure at the rail.

Check your intercooler hoses and the intake to the Throttle body, had the intake pipe clamp at the Throttle body and it stalled in the middle of an intersection until I was able to clamp it back on.

DI reasonable new?

ETA: are you getting 12 volts to the fuel pump?
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert

Last edited by oliversexpedition; 05-03-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #4

Hosing looks ok, pipe to TB fine, DIC's (have two and both were identical/no differences when swapped).

I should head to Autozone and rent a pressure tester or just buy one to keep for down the road.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
Elder

Pump sounds fine. They usually just do nothing at all when they die (95% of the time and I've done over 2 dozen fuel pumps in the last year at least... good sample size)

Check for spark, stick a plug in the DI, ground it to metal, keep your hands clear, crank it. No spark? Try a known good DI, still no spark, you need a crank sensor! Those steps will fix 90 out of 100 no start saabs.

Last edited by NickTurbo900; 05-03-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #6

I've tried good known DI's but got nothing. Would a crank sensor cut out while driving on the freeway and stall the car entirely?
Old 05-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Pump sounds fine. They usually just do nothing at all when they die (95% of the time and I've done over 2 dozen fuel pumps in the last year at least... good sample size)

Check for spark, stick a plug in the DI, ground it to metal, keep your hands clear, crank it. No spark? Try a known good DI, still no spark, you need a crank sensor! Those steps will fix 90 out of 100 no start saabs.
I've tried good known DI's but got nothing. Would a crank sensor cut out while driving on the freeway and stall the car entirely?
Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
It could, yes. It's usually a no start hot, but it has to fail sometime. You need to test for spark by the method I described, its only a bit more effort than the 4 torx screws and plug that hold the DI down... I've spent almost as much time typing this out

If there is fuel squirting to the battery out the rail and the fuel pump runs... I don't think fuel is the issue.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
It could, yes. It's usually a no start hot, but it has to fail sometime. You need to test for spark by the method I described, its only a bit more effort than the 4 torx screws and plug that hold the DI down... I've spent almost as much time typing this out

If there is fuel squirting to the battery out the rail and the fuel pump runs... I don't think fuel is the issue.
I will definitely do that test. A few have mentioned that if one is cranking the car, the rpms tach should spike just a little...I don't see how with a dead car, but mine does absolutely nothing at all when cranking (no tachs at all move). But supposedly a dead car's rpm tach needle should make movement when trying to crank a dead car...if it doesn't do anything, this would in most cases be the CPS. If it does show something, this means the CPS is at least working/not bad.

Yes, the one time the fuel made its way from the Schrader valve to the battery, but that was the record) Every other time was like a little spritz that landed very close by to the rail. Maybe I should video this though as it is, we have nasty noise from the pump area, and we have spray and not just drops only from the Schrader valve.

When key is "not" in the on position, and Schrader valve is pressed, it will just dribble a tiny bit out.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post

When key is "not" in the on position, and Schrader valve is pressed, it will just dribble a tiny bit out.
Normal operation.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Normal operation.
Gotcha.

I'm still confused why the car jerked/stuttered for a very short bit before it stopped completely. And usually people can start their cars after the engine has cooled if it is the CPS.

And why would the fuel pump have that awful sound while cranking? Is it supposed to have that sound during cranking?

I will have to pull a spark plug when the rain starts to calm a bit.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:49 AM   #12
Elder

I didn't hear the awful sound in the video.

I have a 9-5 that needs a cps in the driveway, no start hot or cold.

It may need a fuel pump, I don't know from here
Old 05-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #13

I ended up pulling the ECU fuse, replacing it, and for some reason I managed to get some better crank from the car...until...white smoke appeared out the back of the car and some nice rattling sounds to boot! Looks like a good parts car candidate for my Saab being rebuilt at this time or will just toss the entire car.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to rarelibra Send a message via Skype™ to rarelibra
white smoke = turbo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
i don't think a c900 has sold for 28k since the day one left the dealership new.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I have a similar issue on my 9-5.
When it sits overnight, some mornings when I start it, it barely runs then dies.
Then on the next crank it runs fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in