9-5 brake master cylinder replacement? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
9-5 brake master cylinder replacement?

Anyone have a picture/walk-through for replacing the brake master cylinder on a 9-5? It sounds like just move all the crap out of the way and replace, but I am a visual guy and llike to see what to expect.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
TSLMember

As I couldn't figure out how to post a picture I sent you an email with a picture.

In summary move the battery, battery tray, and fuse box out of the way. Detach the clutch hose, two brake lines and remove the two nuts holding the master cylinder in place.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Is there anything on the inside? Am i climbing under the dash for anything? Does the brake pedal connect to the master, or does It just push on it?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
TSLMember

The pedal just pushes. The whole job is done from under the hood. Did you receive the email with the picture and instructions?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Elder

I did, thank you!
Looks like an afternoon job. I've never bench bled a master, though... woohooo
Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #6
Elder

Replacing? Why, never saw one go bad
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #7
Elder

Mine is. Pedal goes almost to the floor. If I rest my foot on the pedal, it creeps the rest of the way.
Not a huge deal. Seems relatively easy to r&r
Old 08-06-2016, 05:49 AM   #8
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
I did, thank you!
Looks like an afternoon job. I've never bench bled a master, though... woohooo

Would you still happen to have the email that was sent to you for this issue I see it's been years ago but I'm having the same issue in my Saab with a spongy pedal and ordered a new brake master cylinder to replace it, when you replaced yours did it solve your brake issue ?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #9
Elder

holy cow... sorry to have not replied.
Did you get this fixed? It's pretty darn easy.
Remove the brake lines from the master. Remove the 2 13mm nuts from the vacuum... thing.
Pop off the Master.
Just be sure that you align the actuator rod when you re-assemble. I thought I had, but it must have fallen. I was panicking because the wagon had not brakes, but it was just the rod missing the back of the piston.

I did the bench-bleed, but people have said there's no need.
Whole thing took about an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in