1999 9-5 lights issue - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

1999 9-5 lights issue

So my buddy has a 1999 9-5 and yesterday a new problem came up. As he was driving it looked like the headlights just burned out. However when we got out to check them they both looked like they where one. He also doesn't seem to have any brights. So I'm torn between it being the relay or the bulbs what does everyone else think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Ok so I replaced the relay today and still didn't fix it. As I was pulling the bulb I noticed that it looks like the previous owner had installed the HID kit on it. And it looks like one from EBay so now I'm wondering if they boxes might be bad. Has anyone used these before and had issues with it
Old 12-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan81001 View Post
Ok so I replaced the relay today and still didn't fix it. As I was pulling the bulb I noticed that it looks like the previous owner had installed the HID kit on it. And it looks like one from EBay so now I'm wondering if they boxes might be bad. Has anyone used these before and had issues with it
the bulbs went most likley dude
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 12-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Wait. All 4 bulbs died?
Wait.. wait... it has aftermarket HIDs?

Remove HID's.. install Osram Night Breaker H7's in the low beams, and regular bulbs in the high beams... live life happy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

It looks like the low beams are on but you can see crap and there is no brights. And yea it's got crappy no name ihd kit on it. How hard is it to swap back to the normal lights
Old 12-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Its all plug and go about 5 mins to install stock lights, my china HID's have been working for 3 years cost me less then high end halogen bulbs
Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab95Aero View Post
Its all plug and go about 5 mins to install stock lights, my china HID's have been working for 3 years cost me less then high end halogen bulbs
Yea I saw that the kit was only like 30.00 bucks. I just have no way of knowing how long they had been in the car. Ive just never really seen where both headlights go out at the exact same time thats weird. Have you had to replace the bulbs on yours before Saab95Aero?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

It happens to a friend both lights and radio but he never checked the bulbs lol
Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab95Aero View Post
It happens to a friend both lights and radio but he never checked the bulbs lol
Yea its just crazy to buy replacment bulbs is almost more expensive then to just replace the full kit. Going to try and replace the bulbs though and see what happens. I would almost rather replace the whole kit so I know its done right and that the box's would be good also.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

So I pulled the regular bulb from the car last night and its good. The lights that where on where still on so those would be the HID lights and they are just really dim. Is that a way of knowing they are just bad is when the HID buld just gets really dim?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Take a picture of the damn thing...
It's really hard to diagnose without seeing.
It sounds like maybe the city lights are on, not dim HIDs

I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're asking us to guess on an issue that most of us would see as a common sense repair/replacement.
if you think the bulbs are junk, buy new ones. they're like $12.
if you think the ballasts are bad, buy new ones... they're like $12
If you think something's wrong with the HID kit, and aren't confident troubleshooting, buy a new kit. They're $30.

Now, if you put the original halogens back in, and they're STILL not working, you have a bigger issue. This would be ANY shade-tree mechanic's first step in diagnosing this type of problem.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

So update on this I had check the bulbs they where good checked all the ballast they where also good. The HID's where going bad that was some of the issue with them being dimmer then normal. My main concern was the fact that it wouldn't seem to swap from the HID's to the normal bulbs that he had still on the car. My main concern with this car is the same concern that Ive had since my buddy bought it. The PO should never have touch anything on the car. More so if it was electrical! I have been chasing down demons on this car for months. So as I got new hits installed I decide to track all the wires on it because I just don't trust anything he did. So as Im tracking all the wires making sure that its all right and checking it with my volt meter. I notice that he spliced alot of the wiring. You might be wondering why would you even splice wires on a simple drop in kit. And there you go thats what I mean about this guy. So as Im looking at it I noticed that he didn't using any electrical tape or anything that most people would use to make sure it would work. No he used Duck tap and just smashed the wires together. SO I tore it all apart hooked it up good and use heat shrink to make sure it holds. And the finished product everything works perfect now. Thanks though guys it was just alot and never really had time to dig into it and never really used HID's before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in