BBS Aero Rims Peeling - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
SAABeginner

BBS Aero Rims Peeling

I have a 2000 9-5 Aero wagon which has the BBS Aero rims on it. All four have the clear coat peeling off the dish part of the rim, the spokes are in excellent condition. (I attached the best picture I have at the time) I was just wondering if this was a common problem and if it be worth it for me to have them refinished/powder coated vs. Buying new ones. I would like to keep everything as original as possible but if the cost is close to new replacement, ill just buy new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hebron-20131001-00664.jpg (361.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by niklauskegs; 11-16-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
TSLMember

you can refinish the wheels yourself for about 50 bucks or less in materials.there's tutorials and pics all over of people doing it with the dupli-color wheel refinishing paint.

Getting ready to do a set of viggen wheels for my 9-3 I got cheap from a guy on CL who'd spent 2000 on new ones.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Elder

the key to refinishing is the prep work. dont skimp dont cut corners. if you do this part right they will last for a very long time.

honestly you may want to clean them really well inside and out, then sand them to get the clear coat off then use plastidip. leaves you open to changing the color quick and easy and lasts a very long time looks great and best of all is cheap.

i did this to 2 sets of my RIMs, one for my 9-3 SS and one for my 06 MINI Cooper S. both have lasted 10 months with no issues and both cars do a lot of spirited driving and get regular weekly car washes. total cost for both was $120. just took good prep work and patience to let them dry good before driving. i took them off the cars and laid flat to dip them as this made the coats nice and even with no running.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Elder

If you decide to get new wheels I'll buy the old set from you.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglide View Post
you can refinish the wheels yourself for about 50 bucks or less in materials.there's tutorials and pics all over of people doing it with the dupli-color wheel refinishing paint.

Getting ready to do a set of viggen wheels for my 9-3 I got cheap from a guy on CL who'd spent 2000 on new ones.

Thanks man. Yea I'm going to have to look into those tutorials. I Just want to make sure I don't mess them up. Might just try it on the full size spare first.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
the key to refinishing is the prep work. dont skimp dont cut corners. if you do this part right they will last for a very long time.

honestly you may want to clean them really well inside and out, then sand them to get the clear coat off then use plastidip. leaves you open to changing the color quick and easy and lasts a very long time looks great and best of all is cheap.

i did this to 2 sets of my RIMs, one for my 9-3 SS and one for my 06 MINI Cooper S. both have lasted 10 months with no issues and both cars do a lot of spirited driving and get regular weekly car washes. total cost for both was $120. just took good prep work and patience to let them dry good before driving. i took them off the cars and laid flat to dip them as this made the coats nice and even with no running.
Would I have to paint the rims first usuing the plastidip or does the plastidip come in colors? I just want them to look original, so chrome/silver. I guess ill have to do some research on all that. Its just such a shame the rest of the car is spotless and has never seen a winter and the rims look like SH*t.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklauskegs View Post
Would I have to paint the rims first usuing the plastidip or does the plastidip come in colors? I just want them to look original, so chrome/silver. I guess ill have to do some research on all that. Its just such a shame the rest of the car is spotless and has never seen a winter and the rims look like SH*t.
plastidip has lots of colors and you can make them glossy but that takes a lot more work because glossy plastidip is finicky.

i dont think there isnt a stock looking plastidip color. you may have to go the regular refinish route
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in