My window sucks! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
My window sucks!

ok so heres the story. friday night, i put down my drivers window. then when i go to put it back up, no dice. it just stays down. i flip the switch up a few more times and it finally goes up. ok so no biggie, maybe it was just something small....then later that night, i go to put it down again, not thinking and it does the same thing, but taking a lot longer to get to go back up. it ALWAYS goes down, but very periodically goes up.

so i pulled the door panel off, and the plastic rollers are still intact, i greased the rollers and the track they are on...but still no dice. so heres my question to you folks. What could it be?
I have a buddy with a 9-5. so i will be pulling out his window switch pack and trying it in my car.
Is there a relay for the windows in the 9-5's? if there is, can you point me in the direction of it?
Or does this sound like a fried window motor, even though it always goes down?

Thanks,
Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
JK
Elder

I bet it is a dirty contact in the switch assembly - see if you can separate the switch assembly and shoot it with electrical contact cleaner. I've done this in 1 or 2 9000's before with good success. Just make sure you don't dump all the little bits all over the floor (there are loose pieces inside when you get the two halves apart, so be gentle)
Old 03-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

yeah I'd bet its a motor. Or the wires in the doors may be getting bad. VW's would do that the wires first then the motors. My roommates Jetta has a bad window motor.

edit- Hmm yeah that is a possibilty to Jessop, good call. Looks liek you and I posted at the same time HEH

Last edited by Strider; 03-27-2006 at 08:07 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Elder

yeah, i hear ya about the contacts in the switch assembly. i will be trying one from a car that i know the windows work in, later today, probably around 1. does anyone know if there are window relays in the 9-5's?? Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 03-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
The only thing with the switch relay is that it seemed as though your motor was getting power. When we pulled the switch to raise the window, you could see the motor torque...

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
Elder

only sometimes could we see it torque though. but it wouldnt go up... who knows. i will try a new switchpack (that i can borrow for an hour to try), and then if that doesnt work, i will wait to see if anyone knows if there is a relay somewhere, then swap that with my buddies, if there is one. and if none of the above work, then i guess its new motor time.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
Elder

oh yeah....silly me forgot to follow up on this one.
it turned out to be the switchpack. i tried a buddies, and it worked beautifully. i then pulled mine apart completely and cleaned the contacts for the drivers side window switch, and she works like a champ.

Nick

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 04-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
good to hear! My windshield sucks causes its so pitted and glazed
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 04-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
JK
Elder

Good to hear that cleaning it worked! I've taken them apart and been amazed at how much sticky, nasty shit can get in there and foul up the contacts
Old 04-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #10
Elder

yeah, my windshield is in the same boat josh.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in