2000 Saab 9-5 Acceleration issues with an occompinied anti freeze leak - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Angry 2000 Saab 9-5 Acceleration issues with an occompinied anti freeze leak

Hey folks, I just purchased a 2000 saab 9-5 2.3t (E). There is an issue with my acceleration and i'm having a hard time diagnosing it. I noticed after driving for a few hours (has been parked since adventure home) that there was also a anti freeze leak. Since i bought it i got a new oil change and apparently "the turbo was unhooked" and it was "reinstalled" by the mechanic who did the oil change. The acceleration slightly increased after the turbo was hooked up but still not what it should be, very little evidence that its even working (no sound, no noticiable acceleration). Mechanics this far north aren't very good with saab or there more eager to hook it up to there costly machines or simply replace the turbo rather than do any poking around. I am scheduled for a turbo service on tuesday. is there anyone with an idea or two of what it may be? Car has 116,000K on it, motor doesn't have any scary sounds, doesn't over heat, no signs of black or white smoke coming off, no check engine light.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Not really much information to go on here. If you are not very mechanically inclined, you should take your car to a reputable saab indy.

There is a good database here, based on location: Saabnet.com Service Listings

You could have a very simple problem, a very complex problems, or multiple problems simultaneously.

A car that is not making turbo boost could be from a variety of sources: bad plugs, bad DI cassette, vacuum leak, bad MAF, etc. The list is long. Do you know the maintenance history for the car? None of these are related to a coolant leak, that, I would guess, is separate. Can you see where the coolant is leaking from?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Im somewhat mechanically inclined, completely unfamiliar with saab as well as turbos. I suspected that the coolant leak may be completely seperate. Theres no access to the vehicle mainance but was said to be properly maintained always synthetic oil blah blah. the car when i went over it looked to be taken care of as he said. no rust things of that nature. my rpms when in idle are un effected. the brush guard prevents me from seeing where the leak is coming from. i guess im not so concerned about the fluid leak because thats just a matter of chasing the line and finding what needs replacement. ie hoses, readiator, etc. the acceleration is the issue, i haven't replaced the plugs yet, but theres no misfires, doesn't really cough or sputter at all. like i said the idle is fine. i checked the vacuum line and it appears to have a little wear and tear but nothing substantial. perhaps a clogged port ?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I would do some baseline maintenance on the car. Since it is new to you. I would:

- Replace ALL vacuum hoses with silicone. Buy 10ft of it.
- New NGK (ONLY NGK) plugs)
- Clean MAF
- New air filter
- New fuel filter
- Check all intercooler hoses, turbo ducts, etc for cracks or lost connection
- All new fluids: transmission, oil, check PS fluid, brake fluid. Skip coolant flush until you find the leak

Once you have done that, I would start trying to eliminate problems. We can't really help too much here until you've handled the stuff above, because most of the things mentioned above could be causing your issue.

Be very careful about the coolant leak. I would fix it immediately. A small hole can become a big hole very quickly leaving you stranded and possibly overheating the engine, which includes an easy to warp aluminum head.

Search on here if you are unsure of how to do any of the above.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
SAABeginner

thank you for your posts. i plan on changing the vacuum line with silicon (hopefully find it local) fuel pump and spark plugs this weekend. ill continue further down the list as additional income comes in. ill re post once complete and give you fellas results. thanks again for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in