Limp home blues.. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Limp home blues..

Ok i picked up a very nice 95 2.3t for my wife. It's a 2000 and I believe the engine code to be b235e. Initially it had a bad turbo and would throw itself into lhm the moment the turbo began to spool. Having had the same issue with some of my other cars at times, I thought nothing of it. Ordered a gt17 rebuild kit and rebuilt and balanced the turbo. Installed it and BAM!! Like 10 codes. Well I eliminated a handful of them and kept getting the p1230 and p1231 codes. So I started reading up on them. Pretty much read every single thread on this site about lhm. I've manually reset my tb about 40 times now. I've tried clearing the codes ahead of time. Tried clearing them after I reset it. Tried removing the battery positive cable and resetting. Tried fuse #17 and resetting. Tried all of the above options in every possible order, whether it was pulling the fuse, clearing the code, unhooking the battery first, and THEN restting the tb or resetting the tb then unhooking fuses battery's or code clearing.. Ugh. So I deemed my throttle body to be bad at that point. So I find one on the good ol' Internet and make my way outta town to go buy it. I get there and it's a rear end collision car. I was able to start it up, rev it up some hear that turbo spool and blah blah blah. Point is it was a great running car, and at that point I'm excited to make my hour drive home to my 9-5 and get the same results. So an hour later I'm back at my shop wrenching on this beautiful machine and I'm feeling good about the events that are about to unfold.. Everything came together in a snap and now I'm in the drivers seat. Cleared the codes again and proceeded to fire this puppy up!! Once again I get that click click click sound from under the hood. Shit.. Right back into lhm with a known working tb. WTF!!! So now I'm back to the basics I guess.. I seriously don't know how much more abuse I can let this car throw at me. I've checked fuel pressure.... It's good. My battery... Good. All my IC hoses and vacuum lines.. Good. I've got nothing! 10 years ago I had kick ass 9000 turbo. I modified it some and had quite a bit of fun with it. I'd like to do the same with this 9-5. I can't even get past clearing the codes before it "self destructs" into limp home mode. The only way I can get it started is by spraying starting fluid into the intake. Even then it will only run with the pedal to the floor. While running it cuts out around 2200rpm. It floats up to 3000rpm by shear centrifugal force. As it slows back down to about 2000rpm it kicks back on repeating the cycle. After the engine is good and warm it will idle, like shit. If I can't figure this thing out soon I'm gonna need a prescription to Prozac because I'm losing my Effin mind!! Thanks for all your help!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I've had similar symptoms from my charge bypass valve popping loose from the intake tube, but that was fairly obvious. Someone a little more knowledgeable will probably chime in. Welcome to the link!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Yeah that's a diverter valve I thought. Mine blew the intake tube right off the throttle body lol. I had to go back and give it a few more crank downs haha. Problem is the moment I clear the codes or turn the key it clicks it into limp mode. There's no chance of even starting it outside of limp mode.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusJunky View Post
Yeah that's a diverter valve I thought. Mine blew the intake tube right off the throttle body lol. I had to go back and give it a few more crank downs haha. Problem is the moment I clear the codes or turn the key it clicks it into limp mode. There's no chance of even starting it outside of limp mode.
It's going into LHM during crank? It might help if you post the diagnostic codes here.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
SAABeginner

The moment I clear the codes at the obd2 port(which the key has to be on in order to link) the moment the codes clear the engine begins to click and sure enough it's already back in limp mode before I can even try to start it. Like I said, man. I'm losing my mind lol.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
SAABeginner

The only codes now are p1230 p1231
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to tapper
When you turn the key to the ON position it switches to lhm before even cranking it?

Last edited by tapper; 08-16-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to tapper
If that's the case I know on my 1999 audi a4. When I had a bad throttle and changed it it required a vagcom adaptation in order to fully reset everything.. I'm not sure if tech2 has a capability like that or not but on the audi not even pulling the battery and fuses for a day would help.. If wiring is good and its an immediate response in the on position that to me is the ecu remembering there is a problem
Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Where are you located?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
SAABeginner

After making this post I found that the car had sat for 4 years prior to the person I bought it off of. Apparently mice had several nest in the engine bay. All of which were cleaned up before I got it. I began going thru all the wiring and found the problem in the fuel pump compartment. Even tho the pump itself was still functioning, there was a small white wire with a black stripe that had been chewed threw. It was past the visable part down into where the harness was factory tapped. The car runs great now!!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Elder

Great news! Glad you were about to figure it out. Not an easy one to reason out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusJunky View Post
After making this post I found that the car had sat for 4 years prior to the person I bought it off of. Apparently mice had several nest in the engine bay. All of which were cleaned up before I got it. I began going thru all the wiring and found the problem in the fuel pump compartment. Even tho the pump itself was still functioning, there was a small white wire with a black stripe that had been chewed threw. It was past the visable part down into where the harness was factory tapped. The car runs great now!!
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in