Odd buzzing from the gear box. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
TSLMember

Odd buzzing from the gear box.

So I finally replaced my driver side window regulator, and now that I can put my window down I noticed a discomforting sound. I was on the highway (window down) going through a construction zone so I was really close to those concrete barriers in the left lane. Around 35-65 mph from 1,600-3,000 rpms both accelerating and decelerating I heard a buzzing that sounded like it was coming from the gear box. Think of playing cards in the spokes of your bicycle. (It reminded me of my old '89 Volvo 240 to be honest, that sound a diesel truck transmission makes..) Also, each gear change sounded like a loud "clunk". Open road (with less sound to bounce around) I can't hear any of these things at all. But next to a wall or in a tunnel its very prevalent. I flushed the gear box about 8k ago.

Am I in for something sinister or is it all in my head?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Clutch chatter from loose clutch springs are normal sounds with an old clutch.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
TSLMember

Ok. So just keep rolling with it until the clutch starts slipping? The shifting is still smooth and it pulls really hard. I just hate odd noises...

Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You could always give the tranny a fresh oil change. Servicing things never hurts.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
You could always give the tranny a fresh oil change. Servicing things never hurts.
I've been pretty meticulous about maintenance on this car. Went ahead and flushed the tranny again (even though I did it about 8k ago). Gave the car a fresh oil change as well (wasn't due, but I did it anyways..) I've already dropped the pan and there was no sludge. Sound still persists so ill take the bike to work this week.

Could it be belt related?

Coasting deceleration on the highway in 5th, 65-55mph, I put the car in N and the sound went away. Reengaged 5th and the sound came back. Berrrrzzzzzzzzz.

Again, can only hear it when next to a wall/barrier/in tunnel.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Elder

The diff in these cars is noisy for sure, jsut drive it unless you ahve all teh money in teh workd to make the noise go away
Old 08-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to tapper
You havent considered an exhaust leak? If you have a small leak it could make a sound similar to a buzz and would indeed be more noticable in a confined area and also go away when put in neutral/load taken off engine... Have someone plug up the tqilpipe quick while you listen for a leak.. Sounds can be tricky just because something sounds like its coming from somewhere doesnt mean it is...
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
TSLMember

I realize that describing sounds is a popular trend on forums, and that they're really hard to diagnose when doing so.. thank you all for the input. An exhaust leak might be a contributing factor to that buzz at higher rpms (my highway driving example..) but at low speeds, particularly in 2nd gear, there is a grinding/churning/crunching sound that isn't consistent with engine speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
The diff in these cars is noisy for sure, jsut drive it unless you ahve all teh money in teh workd to make the noise go away
The differential might be the source of my 2nd gear sound. The sound is coming from the lower left (driver side) of the engine. Sadly, I don't have all the money in the world.. which is why I do all the work myself.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to tapper
This 99 engine/trans I just installed I too get a buzzing sound which definitely sounds like its from the gearbox..but shifts and drives perfectly after sitting on a VT mountain for 6 months without running. my 01 never made so much as a peep as far as I can remember but I am definitely getting that buzzing on this trans and now you got me all paranoid

this 99 has 185k and given the condition I don't believe its ever had its fluid changed.. my 01 with 182k has had fluid changes and a new clutch recently I guess maybe either you get one that gets noisy or it doesn't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in