Outside temp gauge - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Redfoxx
Outside temp gauge

sometime after i got my 9-5 i noticed that the outside temprature gauge was reading 122F. i stopped into my local Saab dealership and they told me that it maybe that the probe itself is disconnected or that the wire to it has been pinched or cut.

has anyone had this problem with their car before, and if so what was the problem?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
mine has been reading a little high lately, im not sure why or exactley when it started...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Mine does this after I removed my bumper because the sensor is not attached where it normally is. If I shut the car off hot and turn it back on in a few minutes, the temp reading will be 120 or higher. Then it goes back down after I drive around a bit.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
i thaught mine was broken cause one day it read 39* in the morning..
but no it really was 39*
damn thats the coldest its ever read i think..

see if eeuroparts.com has a replacement
Old 02-08-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

I love when it is below zero and the numbers on the LCD SID screen take like 3 seconds to change when something updates...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
Elder

I know that on my 9-3, if the sensor is disconnected it just shows --- on the SID. So if the 9-5 is the same, I doubt a disconnected sensor could be the problem. I'd probably look into getting it replaced.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 02-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Global Warming!!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen
but no it really was 39*

Haha 39 degrees is nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
I love when it is below zero and the numbers on the LCD SID screen take like 3 seconds to change when something updates...
That is amusing... I accidentally left my old cellphone on my car overnight once when it was -20, and the effects on the screen where really odd

Worked well once it warmed up again though
Old 02-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice
I know that on my 9-3, if the sensor is disconnected it just shows --- on the SID. So if the 9-5 is the same, I doubt a disconnected sensor could be the problem. I'd probably look into getting it replaced.
I get that whole --- display on my SID do you know where the sensor is by chance? This whole not telling me what temperture it is is drivnig me crazy.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:06 PM   #10

i'm not sure but on my 9-5 there is a little black thing on the bottom grille section when you look at the front of the car, and you can pop it out toward the car's body and move it to pull it out.

i'm not sure if this is it but my dad sugested that it probably is, and i did notice that it says Siemens on it and there is a GM label on it. i'm assuming this is it because Siemens sells temp sensors of all kinds but i'm not sure whether this is the problem in my case. i think it is a wire further down the line somewhere.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
yes, that is in fact the temp sensor. i had mine disconnected for a few days and got the --- on my sid.

Nick

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 02-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #12

took the 9-5 to the Saab service shop in town to have them look at the outside temp sensor and they told me that they have to replace it. $50 to order it, $40 for labor.

while i was there i brought in my carbon fiber dash to see what it would take to remove the old one and install the new dash. when they called me they told me that it would cost about $160. not to sure if that is the total price of the sensor work and the dash, but the way the guy made it sound it was the price of just the dash work.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen
but no it really was 39*

39* Wimpywimpywimpy. I golf in weather colder than that! It hasn't been a very cold winter here, but yesterday when I got in the car to go to work the SID said 3*. For CT, that's pretty cold.

Have you ever noticed that the SID display is almost always crystal clear when its cold out? Mine is. When it's warm, pixels go out everywhere.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 9-3se
Have you ever noticed that the SID display is almost always crystal clear when its cold out? Mine is. When it's warm, pixels go out everywhere.
I;ve never noticed this, but I have noticed that it updates very slowly when cold
Old 03-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #15

just got my temp sensor in and installed. i got a letter in the mail saying that the part was in and that i needed to go in and get it. i just figured i'd call to double check and when i did the guy i was talking to asked if i needed to set up an apointment to get the sensor put in. i told him, "no, i got this".

i ended up installing it when i went on break at work. i took the old one off and put the new one in and turned the car on to see that it was working properly and the first temp reading that it gave me was 69. it really wasn't that warm out but i figured it was because i had it in my hand and got a little warm before i turned the car on.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
SAABeginner

2006 Saab 9-3. Mine just started reading today at about -35 degrees. No that is not accurate. The temp outside is about 80 degrees f. My cars ac is not working right I think because of that. It is trying to cook me.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Elder

Yes replace the temp sensor the ACC uses it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in