Problem with HID - auto leveling - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Question Problem with HID - auto leveling

First off id like to thank anyone who will help me, I'm a novice mechanic and have no idea how to fix my HID's auto leveling, or even how it works so any help at all is really appreciated.

I do know that somehow, somewhere inside the headlight projector there is something that moves down to cover the bulb when changing from brights to dims because when I have the car off in the garage i can hear the sound of whatever is moving inside the headlights when i pull the stalk to change from bright to dim.

The Problem:
Both lights work fine, and the bulbs appear to be good ( neither is especially pink-insh or anything like that), however, on the driver's side whatever it is that moves inside the headlight assembly doesn't. In other words, my driver's side stays bright when i pull the stalk to dim it I see only a small small change whereas the passenger side levels off completely when on dim. My car just recently started doing this. I have no warning lights on the SID, and both sides do still auto-level correctly.

Has anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas as to why this is happening or what I can do to fix it? Any help would be really appreciated. - Noah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
Elder

I have never had to take one of the 9-5 Xenon assemblies apart, but it's possible the little actuator for the shield hood is broken, or the hood is jammed.

The headlight connectors are the same, what I would do is remove both lights, and plug them into the opposite side of the car, and see if they do the same thing. If the passenger side still works correctly, and the driver's side still doesn't work then it may be an issue in the wiring for the high beam switch.

The passenger lamp still doesn't work plugged into the driver's side though then it's something inside the lamp, and may or may not be fixeable.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Well your auto leveling isn't broken, and for future reference, with the auto leveling there is a sensor on the rear passenger lower control arm and one or two sensors up front that adjust the angle of the headlights based on how much weight is in the back.

The problem sounds like your drivers side "flapper doodle" that covers up part of the inside of the projector that goes up and down when you change between high and low beam isn't retracting all the way, or at all. The assembly should be relatively easy to take apart, make sure everything moves freely, and that nothing is blocking it's range of motion, maybe a few drops of a silicon based lubricant on the joints to make sure it can move easily. Silicon based lubricant can be found at outdoorsy stores, it's used for cleaning rifles.

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
auto-leveling, bi-xenon, bright, headlights, hid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in