Audio Dead - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Audio Dead

2002 9-5 Linear with 135k

Without warning or symptoms the complete audio system is dead seemingly without power. It does not respond to the on/off switch or come on automatically when a CD is inserted (or attempted).

Following the chart on the fuse compartment cover the radio/CD fuses are #s 9 and 21. The 15 AMP Fuse #9 is working (continuity check) and there is current potential (12v) when ignition key is on none if key is off; 10 AMP Fuse #21 is working (continuity check) and there is current potential (12v) when ignition key is on or off.

Can I conclude that the audio system has power available?

The other electronics appear normal. Some months I removed the theft alarm so I get a "Service Theft Alarm" message at startup but no others. The audio system worked normally after the alarm removal.

All other systems are working.

I can't relate the failure to any other action or event. I recently removed and reinstalled the high-beam relay but can't fix the failure to that action; that is, I didn't notice if the failure ocurred immediately after the high-beam incident or before the incident. As a part of the high-beam incident I disconnected the battery and removed it for access to the left headlights.

Could disconnecting the battery or "wiggling" the high-beam relay have caused the audio system failure?

Any other ideas?

Last edited by jsmabrey; 03-26-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added Information
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
SAABeginner

I located this message on a web page: Sabb radio code

Saab radio unlock codes
Most Saab vehicles are equipped with radios that require a special radio code. This code is not required, unless the radio is removed from the vehicle, or the vehicles battery is disconnected.

You should always have a copy of your radio code in a safe place, not in the vehicle itself !If you know your code, but do not know how to enter It into the radio: Visit car radio unlock code guides, for assistance with entering your radio unlock code.

Saab calls this feature "Anti-theft". Its purpose is to prevent unauthorized users of your radio and will not allow your car stereo to operate without the proper code.

Saab began using the antitheft feature, around the 1990 and is still used in many Saab vehicles today!

However, they can only provide code for models 1998 and older. Newer model codes must come from the dealer.

I will call the dealer Monday 3/28/11
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
TSLMember

There is no radio code for 1999+ 9-5's, if it says "radio code", it will need to be remarried by tech2.
If it doesn't work, it's a power issue, check the fuse behind the radio.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
SAABeginner

Another Fuse?

Thanks for the correction. Since I see no "Radio Locked" or "CDC Locked" (p. 100 of the Owners Manual) on the CID, therefore I can assume that there is no missing code problem caused by disconnecting the battery.

I haven't checked the third fuse because I didn't know about it. It is not mentioned in the electrical diagram references. Removing the audio main unit is the next problem. This requires a special tool which I don't have but will attempt to make. Failing that I'll seek some help.

If the hidden fuse is blown the question is why. The audio system is cut off when the key is removed and must be turned on after the key is inserted so how would the surge of reconnecting the battery pass the ignition provided it was off when the battery was reconnected?

First I must find the fuse and check it. The mystery lives on.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Thanks to gbest's reply, I pulled the audio main unit with a fabricated tool (four pieces of 1/8" welding rod with flux removed and cut into 3.5" lengths). The 5 AMP fuse that plugs into the back of the unit was severed. I replaced the fuse and installed the unit.

It seems to work: CID shows the different functions and it acts normally -- but there is no sound at all.

The mystery lives on.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Success - Maybe

Researching alldatadiy.com I discovered an additional fuse solely for the amplifier. It is #13 -- 20AMP. I checked and it too was severed. I replaced it and when I inserted it there was a snap, which sounded like an electrical short, which came from the main unit or thereabouts or so it seemed. I pulled the #13 fuse and found it intact and reinserted it without hearing the snap.

I tested the radio and CD and found both working normally, this time with sound.

I don't think the mystery is solved but the radio and CD are functioning so I will declare a success until it quits again.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Removed because it was a duplicate.

Last edited by jsmabrey; 03-28-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Duplicate Removed
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
SAABeginner

Mystery Solved

This morning, suddenly I remembered that two weeks ago, with the battery removed to trace a right high-beam problem, I needed to check if the bulb was getting current. Rather than re-install the battery I connected jumper cables to the battery and the cables but in reverse polarity.

I realized the error after 15 seconds and corrected it. Finding no damage I conveniently forgot about it -- until this morning.

I'll bet the fuses (#13 and the back of the main unit) sacrificed themselves to protect the audio system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
audio, battery, electrical, hidden fuse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in