Just got nailed by a hit-and-run and my airbag didn't deploy - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
TSLMember

Just got nailed by a hit-and-run and my airbag didn't deploy

Yeah, friday night (7-29-05) i was driving home from dinner with my wife and some guy hit my car while I was sitting at a stop sign. He made a wide turn doing about 30mph and hit the front fender/driver door and proceeded to run down the side of my car to the rear quarter panel. when his giant 1970something pick up came to a stop the drunk guys looks at me(tries to look at me) and says "sorry" just before he backs up and drives off. some witnesses followed him and the police eventually arrested him. I am super bummed because my baby is sitting at the body shop and i just got her about a month and a half ago. anyway, the stupid side airbag didn't deploy. I mean he hit me with some force right in the area of the side airbag sensor. the airbag light and "!" light came on the dash. the manual says that if the light comes on that the airbag can deploy at anytime so that was freaking me out as i made her limp back home. my car is an '01and i feel like that bag should have popped out. had my window not been down i would have broken it with my head for sure. Anyone have any ideas about what might have happened? other than the airbag, she took it like a champ, barely moving and crumpling well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
Elder

that sucks - a Police investigation and a car inspection I think is normal for such cases - you might be entitle to a law suit - by you honestly don't wanna go after Saab - go after Gm - it's their faulty parts afterall.... I'd deffinatly follow up on it and see through that something is found out.
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
TSLMember

yeah, i'm not really mad at saab, however I would like to bring it to their attention or GM's attention and maybe get an apology out of it or a brand new car (kidding). Any idea on how to let them know? I would like to send a letter and some pictures, but I don't know where to send them.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42
Police investigation and a car inspection I think is normal for such cases
I don't know what the hell they do in your jurisdiction... it is pretty clear-cut what happened. Guy is drunk, guy is driving, guy hits car and runs off. That's basically the extent of the police duty in this case. The police report will state that, and will be handed over to the insurance company... I believe it's the responsibility of the ins. co. to investigate further, draw theories based on the police report and the actual damage to the car, and you can always ask your actuary if there are any grounds for a lawsuit. Jerka, you'll have to leave your car to the mercy of a GM actuary as well-- they will inspect the car themselves. It could be months until you get it back, if at all, if you go that route.

Anyway Jerka- that really sucks man. Seems like everyone was okay though. I suppose that's what really matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
Elder

what she said and I too meant to say that I'm glad you all managed to be kept safe during all this. I was thinking Insurance co - said police - longs days really get to ya. Sounds like Jerka had the worst of the days today...
for your repair needs
Old 08-02-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
But while we are on the subject of police, Jerka's accident report as well as the official "investigation" (which really is just Officer Schmoe showing up, smoking a butt, and filling out a form) will be crucial to determine what kind of payout you recieve from your insurance. DETAILS! ACCURACY! If you notice any discrepancy in the reports, bring it to the reporting officer's attention.

Side note, I've taken a slue of classes in report writing if you need a hand with yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

A while ago I hit a post on my right side and the bags didn't deploy. However my damage seems small compared to what yours was. Attached is a photo of my accident.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:19 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Do you have any pictures of the damage jerka?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:48 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

i have been told before that for an airbag to deploy it must be a hit equivalent to 30 miles per hour.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
TSLMember

I will post some pics asap. i went to my parents' house (out of town) this weekend and left my camera there. I am going to go get it this weekend.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #11
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
i have been told before that for an airbag to deploy it must be a hit equivalent to 30 miles per hour.
True, I donīt know the exact speed but itīs quite high. The reason for this is that if the bags deploy at too low speeds they can seriously harm you instead of protecting you. Even if your head would have bumped the side of the windows, the damage could have been a lot worse if the bag had hit you. The bags are really a "last resort" and should only deploy when in an heavy crash. The reason for your SRS-light is surely that the sensors where damaged.

If the hit was hard, be sure to tell the peeps who do the inspection to measure the car. If itīs bent in some way, that will seriously affect the driveability but may not easily be seen without correct measurments with quality instruments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in