SID repair - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
SAABeginner

SID repair

i've tried the ironing, foam padding techniques i found online for sid repair. it is slightly better but still no good! is there anything else?!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Elder

say what?!!!! SID as in Saab Information Display - and an Iron?!! WTF?!
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I used 3 wide rubber bands and it worked WONDERS

Old 06-10-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

curious about the 3 wide rubber bands? did you just wrap the 3 around the ribbon? or i am not sure how you did if you would wanna explain that alittle more please....thanks
Coop

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
SAABeginner

It can be done professionally, we've had great results with it. Please check out our website for more information, http://www.kramermicrorepair.com
Old 03-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Be careful with flat tipped soldering irons as one website recommends... ask me how I know

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam84 View Post
Be careful with flat tipped soldering irons as one website recommends... ask me how I know
xEleventyBillion.

oops.

I had luck with the flat Iron technique, but it still failed eventually. I sent mine out to BBA re manufacturing. Cost me like 120 bucks, but it is still going strong.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramermicrorepair View Post
It can be done professionally, we've had great results with it. Please check out our website for more information, http://www.kramermicrorepair.com
Is there a discount if I send more then 1 in at a time for repair? 2 saab's with 4 units that could use a little repair job

thanks

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Elder

Nice job Kramer second fake past for free advertising in a forum...

Funny thing here you can advertise free

But I recommend BBN remanufacturing....over Kramer casue I can
Old 03-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
I recommend Demi, over all others, but jssaab is probably the only person who knows who I'm talking about.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
SAABeginner

Yes, we offer bulk discounts. Please see our website, http://www.kramermicrorepair.com and contact me from there.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
BBA reman also does a great job and provides a lifetime warranty. They send you a reman when you purchase and then you send yours back. If it ever starts to fail you send it back after calling them and you get another one back.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
BBA reman also does a great job and provides a lifetime warranty. They send you a reman when you purchase and then you send yours back. If it ever starts to fail you send it back after calling them and you get another one back.
X2

I had a couple go out on my old car, cole dthem about a year after all i needed was teh code form teh unit they said yep, sent me a new one...

and they did not care that it was worked on shoddy by me before ( and i heard that others will not work or guarantee) and they even fixed one with the ribbon completely ripped...

Last edited by jssaab; 04-02-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: note: and your website is forbidded at work for some reason
Old 04-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #14

If you watch eBay, you might get lucky.
I found a 5 button 900 SID for $70, 100% & still going.

2004 9-5 Aero 5pd Stg 3 Wagon
1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #15

The ironing method worked perfectly on the first try on my SID 3. Got all pixels back. It's been a few months so far and 100% of the pixels are still working.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Redfoxx
i was talking to my local Saab tech and he was telling me that the reason that the pixels start going out is when they get really cold in the winter then when it starts getting warmer outside they start to disappear, and of course it goes south from there. and i do believe this because not to long ago we had a warm day after all the freezing weather i noticed one strip of pixels missing but then they showed up again. and ever since they show up and disappear and i'm afraid when the weather stays nice there will be more missing...then i'll bust out the iron.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #17
TSLMember

Mine too started missing one column of SID pixels and some ACC pixel. I began this winter/spring when the temperature range got from freezing during nights to warm during days.
Still no need to disassemble it.
Has anybody information how they repair it ? I got a guy repairing industrial electronics, who will micro solder it if I get him a compatible SMD ribbon connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in