9-5 Turbo or Pistons - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #21
Elder

just track down a b234 block

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 AM   #22
Flirting With TSL Addiction

if you owe 6500 on it i would just source a b234 short block and pop it in.

.with a blown motor... you would be doing good if you got half of that money back....

swap a b234 in and you should have a car that will run far past the payment schedule
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #23
Avid TSL User

hey 88mmm,

I've got a set of pistons from my Viggen, if your cylinder walls are fine you can have my pistons. You'll need a new set of rings, but you're welcome to have the pistons for free (just pay shipping or if you're ever in Westfield, MA I can meet you there). I upgraded to JE pistons, and these have only 80k miles on them. Let me know if you decide to have the car repaired.

Best of luck,

D

Old 11-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #24
Avid TSL User

If the cylinder walls are fine, I think it would be cheaper to repair it as a b235 and not sure how many shops will be willing to go the B234 route. The B234 may be an alternative if you're doing the work yourself and are somewhat mechanically inclined.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #25
SAABeginner

BlackViggen Thank you for the offer, I may be taking you up on those pistons. Turns out that I have two cylinders down, Compression test from 1 to 4 200,115, 200, 0. I should have the head off tomorrow and hopefully I'll have the pistons out later this week. Anyone have a link to instructions for pulling the head? I want to make sure I have everything disconnected before I go yanking on the head.

Closer examination of the plugs reveled that the ones supplied by Autozone were the right heat range, and same length on the piston side. However they are shorter on the DIC side. The shop helping me diagnose the car (Saab only shop) suggested that there was a massive knock in the cylinders caused by the lack of contact with the DIC and the plugs in the two cylinders. The CEL was blinking furiously at me when this happened.

So I'm going to file small claims court case against them. Autozone says it's not their fault that I put the wrong plugs in and that it's my responsibility to verify I have the right plug. I think that is crap because I wouldn't be able to know that the part# on the plug they gave me is not for my car.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #26
SAABeginner

Just about there, pictures of piston carnage should be up tomorrow. In the mean time here's a pic of my other ride.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #27
SAABeginner

So the head was pulled at and there is a hole melted right through piston 4. I think it's pretty obvious that the plug was the culprit and the Saab mechanic agrees. Autozone has been pretty good so far, they paid for the head to be pulled. So hopefully I'll be getting a new factory lower end care of Autozone. If not the good news is that cylinder walls were not damaged so It'll be a relatively easy fix to replace the pistons since Autozone has already paid for the head removal. Now I just want it fixed, it's been too long without my Saab.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #28
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mmm View Post

The shop helping me diagnose the car (Saab only shop) suggested that there was a massive knock in the cylinders caused by the lack of contact with the DIC and the plugs in the two cylinders. The CEL was blinking furiously at me when this happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mmm View Post
I put new spark plugs in about 2 hours before the oil spurt all over. ...
You know this would have been extremely helpful infromatiuon to diagnose your issue, and blinking CEL = VERY BAD that's why it blinks to get you attnetion

Last edited by jssaab; 11-11-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #29
SAABeginner

@88mm

I too am near Albany.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Who's your Saab mechanic ?.

Mike

PS- I have seen your e30 M3 around. I miss my e34 m5 sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
wife beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in