Burglary Damages to Dash - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Burglary Damages to Dash

So I'm having a bad week for stereo equipment.

My stereo and Auto Meter Nexus gauges were stolen out of my car this afternoon. I left my garage open for about a half an hour, while I did some biking, and came back to find this:

Here's a "Before" pic for comparison -

Ugh. I'm a bit worried - there doesn't seem to be a whole lot left behind the dash. I still have the stock head unit and cage (somewhere) but I'm wondering if there's enough left to support it when it goes in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
Greg, that sucks. Did you have to trim up the dash to fit the new head unit/gauge set-up? Is that why you're concerned about re-installing the stock set-up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

makes my blood boil seeing shit like that...sorry about that dude.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
steeling from a lawyer? How lame.

Pop in the old stuff and see what happens.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Damn and those nexus gauges aren't cheap at all.

Hope something turns up and they catch these guys...........cause you could pay them back in full twice for the trouble they caused you with the trouble you can cause them.

Either they didn't know your a lawyer or they weren't that bright.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
This does suck, but it looks like it might go back together pretty easily, from my, sigh, experience with a demolished c900 dash.

They didn't cut all of the wires and nicely unplugged things, which is kind of strange, and your bezel is intact. It's hard to see in the destroyed photo whether the gray surround spacing on the right is still there or not.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Sucks Man!.

Hope the perps get caught.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
GA
Elder

A couple of more pics:

Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
Damn, they scuffed up the dash finish pretty bad. It looks like you should be able to stick the factory cage and radio back in with no problem though.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Yikes, that sucks. sounds like it's time to "upgrade" your neighborhood... Honestly, who goes into a persons garage and jacks their stereo equipment? I doubt this would happen in North Philadelphia... It must have been some deranged neighbor who constantly watches your house.

As for repairing it, There is no telling what they damaged when ripping the radio off. I recall when we fixed the stereo in Ericas 900-S, one of the hot wires was no longer hot and the switched wire (what should have been switched) was no longer switched... I think we ended up running some new wires from the ciggy lighter to correct that one. Anyway, after a radio theft theres no telling what's messed up till you start trying to fix it. Might take a while to troubleshoot depending on how bad the removal was.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
Yikes, that sucks. sounds like it's time to "upgrade" your neighborhood... Honestly, who goes into a persons garage and jacks their stereo equipment? I doubt this would happen in North Philadelphia... It must have been some deranged neighbor who constantly watches your house.

As for repairing it, There is no telling what they damaged when ripping the radio off. I recall when we fixed the stereo in Ericas 900-S, one of the hot wires was no longer hot and the switched wire (what should have been switched) was no longer switched... I think we ended up running some new wires from the ciggy lighter to correct that one. Anyway, after a radio theft theres no telling what's messed up till you start trying to fix it. Might take a while to troubleshoot depending on how bad the removal was.
Well, with that Little Red, it's hard to tell whether that craziness happened when they jacked the radio or when the homeless guy drove her around in 2007. Dunno.

But, yes, all kinds of things get mucked around when somebody does something like this. It looks like your dash held up better, though, so that's good. Mine put up a fight, but, in the end, lost.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Elder

Do you think it was someone who knows you or at least lives in the vicinity? Seems like they were watching, because it would be a bit hard for a theif to know that you were the only one at home.

Anyway, thats really terrible. Hopefully you get some leads on who it was but most of these thefts never get solved unfortunately.

|
|
Old 09-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #13

Put a hidden video camera and go out again leaving the garage door open. You'll at least catch that guy. It seems like it's a neighbor's kid.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Any youngsters in the nieborhood drive a honda? That would be the culprit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
Elder

If the perp. is dumb enough to theft like that - it's probably going to be installed into their own car this week.... watch in their windows like they did yours. If you locate your goods then I'm sure you can find a means to go after them legally.

Damn they couldn't even remove the antenna wire correctly! They f-ed that wire up - I have fixing those wires, they are tough sometimes.
for your repair needs
Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
JK
Elder

I think someone knew what they were after...and I'm assuming the doors were unlocked?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
I think someone knew what they were after...and I'm assuming the doors were unlocked?
That's kind of what I've been thinking.

Also, I wouldn't hold your breath on the cops finding anyone unless they stumble across a stash of stolen radios during a drug bust. When Little Red got smashed into, the Cleveland cop was telling me aftermarket radios are as good as a $20 bill in most ghetto-market transactions.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #18
JK
Elder

It would be odd (in my opinion) for ghetto market transaction seekers to be in Greg's neck of the woods...pretty decent neighborhood all around him within walking distance. I would put my money on kids who were looking for nice shit for their own cars. A set of those nexus gauges would be like a jackpot!

Sucks you did not catch them in the act Greg
Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
c900 Grognard
Elder

Wouldn't comprehensive insurance cover this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #20
GA
Elder

It probably does. But we have a high deductible, $1000. I'm weighing the pro's and cons of making a claim.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in