A/C Blower works intermittently. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
SAABeginner

A/C Blower works intermittently.

The blower sometimes works and other times does not. I've been told I should replace the blower motor ($500 parts and labor). I'm wondering if it could be something simpler.. a controller or a bad connection?? I'm not a techie so keep it simple. Any advice would be appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
dip
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
It's most often the blower itself. You can try taking it out and cleaning the brushes on the motor. Or, you can find a used one on eBay, about $100 with some luck and patience.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

It is also possible to rebrush the motors

There is a guy on fleabay in MD that is selling brushes.
Just make sure he cuts them down to size as it is a close tolerance cutdown.
The motors stop woking when the brushes wear down & no longer make a connection. The replacement brushes cost about $30

Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
TSLMember

Wink Hmmm

Personally, I wouldn't worry all that much about the price of the new part. I hope the dash tear down goes as smooth as possible. I have looked at what the service manual says on how to break it down seems striaght forward but a pain. good luck tell me how it goes.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Smile There is no dash tearout to replace a blower motor in a 9-5

The blower motor is accessed from the engine bay

1: remove wiper arms
2: remove large plastic cover under windscreen
3: remove wiper mechanism & drive arms
4: remove plastic cover under drive ( kind of a rain guard)
5: disconnect motor wires & remove top of blower housing - only couple of screws
6: Jiggle blower motor out - it is very tight. If you can't do it clamp the front body frame & pull it towards the front with some sort of tie down straps mechanism. The couple of extra mm will help a lot. Total time for me about 1 hour the first time. The second time was about 1/2 hour.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
SAABeginner

I had the same problem on my 2000 Aero last winter - wonderful time for the fan to stop working right? I pulled the old fan out and looked at it. It was the old version of the fan for the early VIN numbers. The brush holders were made out of a green plastic on the original motor. What happened was that the plastic had deformed and no longer held the brushes in the correct position. I had bought new brushes to put in, but since they wouldn't be held steady enough, that wouldn't work as a fix.

I ended up buying a used fan off of ebay for $115 that was the updated version of the fan that came out of a 2001. This fan had re-designed brush holders that were made out of metal. If the brushes ever wear out on this motor while I still have the car, replacing them would be easy. There was no difference in the mounting of the fan, so it just dropped in.

Michael
Old 09-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Update on swap time.
I have replaced the blower motors in 9-5 about 4 times at this point. ( different cars).
I did it yesterday - got the job completely finished in 18 min start to finish.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Gents:

It appears I will take the plunge swapping out a blower motor. Fan runs but only at limited speed. Dealer is $500+ for new one. Found the OEM motor on line for $310. Thanks for the install tips!

Feff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

There is also a fan sped controller that could be the issue. Don't think it's part of the motor assembley.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
TSLMember

I have had this problem on two cars now, 01 93 vert and my current 96 900se. Both times it was the blower resistor that was the problem. replaced that and off we go. Available from carparts.com for about 50 bucks including shipping.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilmat View Post
I have had this problem on two cars now, 01 93 vert and my current 96 900se. Both times it was the blower resistor that was the problem. replaced that and off we go. Available from carparts.com for about 50 bucks including shipping.
Can't find this on a search on any of the on-line parts places. Must be different on the 9-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbndtrain View Post
There is also a fan sped controller that could be the issue. Don't think it's part of the motor assembley.
Is the the speed controller"?

http://www.saabusaparts.com/catalog/...roducts_id=519

Feff
Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

Will check later today as mine was replaced under warranty not too long ago. Should be able to get the part number to confirm. I cannot confirm however that this is your issue.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbndtrain View Post
Did both a fan motor and fan speed controller along with the cabin filter (scary). AC now cools to refrigerator like levels. Serivce shop forgot to order new air and fuel filters. Popping back in tomorrow for those and we are good to go.

Feff

Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Mine started doing this a few weeks ago...pulle dthe motor out (cracking the windshield in the process, trying to get the D/S wiper arm off, but it needed new glass anyway).

Cleaned the brushes, and it lasted about two weeks. Died yesterday on our drive back to VT from MD, damn it!

Just ordered new brushes on eBay. Hope it works!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
Jam
SAABeginner

if u need to replace it...you could look for the part on ebay..pretty cheap there
Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Yeah, there were several on eBay for under $100. I figured I'd try my luck with the $30 brushes first. It literally only takes 10 minutes to get the blower motor out, so it's not a real PITA to have to do it multiple times.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ac blower, blower motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in