Just Quoted 8-10 hours of labor for Head Gasket Replacement! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
TSLMember

Just Quoted 8-10 hours of labor for Head Gasket Replacement!

So that's about $1,000 to get the head gasket replaced (at dealership labor prices)? Is this usual?

I have a warranty that says it will cover cylinder head and intake manifold gaskets covered only for coolant leaks...

It was recommended to me about 25k miles to have it replaced cause it was leaking.

So this is a no brainer right? The warranty should cover it? Right?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Elder

it's a little on the high side, but not out of the realm of possibility...

as far as your warranty goes, i dont have an answer on that one...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Re: your warranty...have you called more than one dealership to see if its covered? Also, call the SAAB 1-800 # to receive even further clarification. The customer service reps at the 800 number are awesome. 1000 labor is about right, my dealer here (Atlanta) charges $115 and hour. I hate my dealer so I go to a mom and pop. See if you can find a mom and pop somewhere near you, they're cheaper labor and super fair....generally speaking of course.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Elder

Is it SAAB new car warranty? SAAB certified used warranty, or after-market warranty. If it's SAAB new car or Certified used it will be covered. If it's after-market go with god
Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
TSLMember

It's an Aftermarket warranty...so thank you for your prayers! LOL

I just got back from the Saab deler to have a chat with the head guy there...Jim Flikkemma...(Saab Dealer in Lansing, IL)he recommended I bring it back Monday so that they can tear down the engine and then call the warranty company at which time the warranty company would hopefully cover everything. He said it would take about 3-4 days with the warranty company involved...but that I would only about 8 hrs labor...which of course if the warranty covers the work I would not have to pay...keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

That is about how much I got charged to do my head gasket and my broken manifold studs.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
if you were local, I'd do it for you for a few hund-o.
9-5 head gaskets are some of the easiest.

Chances are, whoever's doing it, is charging you book-time, and getting it done in about 5 hours, as I can get them done in an afternoon with hand-tools.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Elder

Just did the one on our 9-5 - took better part of a few nights about 2 hours at a time. Took me about 8 hours spread out (it was hot outside, minmal air tool access, and minimal lighting)

Dealer usually charges about $1200-$1800 for a Headgasket job parts and labor, plus a coolant flush and full synthetic oil change. ( and probably the heater control valve too - usually they are bad or leaking )

Make sure the idler pulley and serp belt is good - another item they will take off and if it's bad it's worth doing at this time.
for your repair needs
Old 08-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
You should have the head planed too. If it got hot chances are it warped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
You should have the head planed too. If it got hot chances are it warped.

So far this is only to prevent it from going bad (although it is leaking! )..I haven't had any overheating issues so far. But it needs to get done...and I will mention to the dealer to check for head warping...thanks for that tip.

I did have the idler pully and new belts put in about 20k ago...

Thanks for the heads up on all the other stuff that might pop up.

I'm getting up to about 148k now...so and I've done tons of maintenance on the car already.
I just hope my aftermarket warranty covers it all. I will post an update end of next week.

Car runs great...this is all just regular maintenance so I'm glad I haven't had any breakdowns.

Last edited by eco9-5turbo; 08-11-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

if your near maine i can do it for you for 500 including head gasket, intake mani gasket, exuast mani gasket, thermostat....oil and filter and i can have it done on a saterday if you bring the car to my shop
Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9000aero View Post
if your near maine i can do it for you for 500 including head gasket, intake mani gasket, exuast mani gasket, thermostat....oil and filter and i can have it done on a saterday if you bring the car to my shop
Wow...I wish I lived near you! I'd go to you for all repairs!

But I live in Chicago...anyone know of any good shops in Chicago or NW Indiana?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

Smile Are you sure the gasket is bad & not just loose headbolts ?

For a couple of years, ( 99-02 I think) Saab simply undertightened the head bolts/studs to the block. It is possible all you need is a hour to tightend the bolts ( only cover needs to be removed). It is even possible to replace the bolts/studs with ARP one at a time doing this. If it is a minor leak wiht no overheating you might get away with this. Cost .. appprox $75

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco9-5turbo View Post
So far this is only to prevent it from going bad (although it is leaking! )..I haven't had any overheating issues so far. But it needs to get done...and I will mention to the dealer to check for head warping...thanks for that tip.

I did have the idler pully and new belts put in about 20k ago...

Thanks for the heads up on all the other stuff that might pop up.

I'm getting up to about 148k now...so and I've done tons of maintenance on the car already.
I just hope my aftermarket warranty covers it all. I will post an update end of next week.

Car runs great...this is all just regular maintenance so I'm glad I haven't had any breakdowns.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
Elder

Thats not an unreasonable quote hour-wise. When the headgasket was done in my ng900, it cost around $2k at the dealership.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 08-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudethe9-5isfast View Post
For a couple of years, ( 99-02 I think) Saab simply undertightened the head bolts/studs to the block. It is possible all you need is a hour to tightend the bolts ( only cover needs to be removed). It is even possible to replace the bolts/studs with ARP one at a time doing this. If it is a minor leak wiht no overheating you might get away with this. Cost .. appprox $75

I'm going from what the dealer told me at about 122k...they said the head gasket was leaking. I am now 25k later at 147k. I am dropping it off tomorrow and tell them to make sure it is not the head bolts are not loose before they tear down the engine. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
you can check to see if it is the headbolts yourself in 10 minutes with a t27, i think, torc bit to get the valve cover bolts off. Honestly, i think they'd say it is a head gasket than a retorque even if all it needed was a retorque to get the business

Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

Quote:
This is all that should be needed to be done to fix your problem and I would defiantly go this way first. Usually retorquing the head bolts will stop coolant leaks coming from the head gasket. It is also easy enough to replace the head gasket after if this doesn't work, which it should anyways. Get the new bolts from eeuroparts.com and follow the instructions on how to torque them down. Trust me its not that hard to do.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco9-5turbo View Post
It's an Aftermarket warranty...so thank you for your prayers! LOL

I just got back from the Saab deler to have a chat with the head guy there...Jim Flikkemma...(Saab Dealer in Lansing, IL)he recommended I bring it back Monday so that they can tear down the engine and then call the warranty company at which time the warranty company would hopefully cover everything. He said it would take about 3-4 days with the warranty company involved...but that I would only about 8 hrs labor...which of course if the warranty covers the work I would not have to pay...keeping my fingers crossed.
lol which warrenty company is this??

i used to work for one of those aftermarket warrenty companys, i left after 3 weeks because i could'nt stand how much they screwed people. if they really give you grief, call again from a different number, and talk to somebody on the sales floor, acting interested to buy the same warrenty, odds are the salemen will tell you its covered and that will provide leverage

also, if they only cover coolent leaks, explain to them that buy definition a blown HG leaks coolant into the motor, this is because the gasket has coolent passages into the combustion chamber,,

this is what causes smoke to come out the tailpipe

IE, not a hard point to argue

Last edited by mike d; 08-24-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #19
TSLMember

Hey guys...thanks for all the helpful posts...turns out that it's only a small oil leak...Flikkema Saab (Lansing, IL) didn't even charge me a diagnostic fee...the service advisor told me to just wait until it develops a coolant leak so that the warranty company would be forced to cover it...but the saab dealer said that it is very shady that this warranty company only covers coolant leaks for head gasket replacements. I still have 2 years and 3 months left on the Penn Warranty (that's the company).
Thanks to the Saab dealer as well for not screwing me over saying that I absolutely needed the work done, when I really didn't. Jim from Flikkema Saab said that he never does unnecessary work to cars, they treat cars as if they were their own.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 AM   #20
Elder

See, not all dealerships are bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in