Ok, i think i hate this car already =( - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
TSLMember

Ok, i think i hate this car already =(

So i got my '99 9-5 a little less than a week ago. First the left turn signal only wants to work some times, but lately doesnt work at all. Then the head lights are on all the time(when the ignition is on). The fogs go but can also be switched on/off b the high beam control(which doesnt turn the high beams on btw.) And the alarm started going off randomly so I unplugged the sirens, but now the flashers go off if i lock the car with the remote. ANd my horn doesnt work but all the fuses and relays are good.
My SID display doesnt work and i tried to fix it but some idiot that had the car before me, ripped the ribbon off when trying to fix it and taped i back on usng scotch tape.
If anyone has any suggestions that would help Id greatly appriciate it.
Thanks,
Tony
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Moderator

re: headlights always on: I don't know if it's the same in the 9-5, but on my '02 9-3 I never touched the headlights. It had daytime running lights, and at night, the ambient light sensor would kick on the normal headlights.

re: high beams/turn signal: If your high beams and left turn signal are on the same stalk, that could just need replacing.

re: alarm: Do a search on the alarm issue. A couple people have had that problem here and could surely point you in the direction of repair.

re: the SID: Take it out, check the part number against the list at the link below, order the repair, and send it in. You'll get it back 100% in less than a week with a lifetime warranty for ~ $85. http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/P...x?category=589

That should at least cross a couple things off the list.

Last edited by jk88; 08-10-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
TSLMember

thanks for the link.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The daylight running lights can be turn off by the removal of a fuse from the drivers side fuse panel, it's fuse # 35 on the 9-5
As far as your Highbeams it may be the orange relay under the hood, give it a wiggle, hen try your lights.
The alarm may keep going off cause the batteries inside the alarm box are low, there is a way to DIY replace them http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2007..._Alarm_Module/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 9-5 Aero 5pd Stg 3 Wagon
1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by adidas_007; 08-10-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
TSLMember

ok ill check the relay tomm. And I unplugged the siren box/black box for the alarm.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
TSLMember

could my alarm problem be that my winsheild is cracked pretty bad?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
No, the siren going off at random is the classic symptom of a bad alarm battery. I've never heard of a cracked windshield setting off the alarm -- if the windshield is solid enough to deflect air at speed, it should not be triggering the alarm.

The alarm unit is located in the left front fender, and you can disconnect it to solve the problem, although you'll get the "Service Theft Alarm" message every time you start the car.

You mention disconnecting "sirens" plural - the other one is the horn. Which is why the horn no longer works.

The external battery in the alarm box is a US-only feature, designed to allow the theft alarm to work even if the main battery is disconnected. There is a way using the Tech II to re-program the car into "Euro-alarm mode" which stops the car from looking for the external alarm box, and stops the "Service Theft Alarm" messages on the SID.

The flashers should flash when you lock and unlock the car with the remote. That is normal.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Elder

This sounds like someone who shouldn't be trying to fix his own car!!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
TSLMember

listin I was a tech at mercedes benz for 2 years now. I think Im well capable of working on my own car, thanks. What I ment by sirens is there are two openings on the black box making the siren plural (sirens). And Im not a retard I didnt unplug my horns.
The reason I asked about the windsheild is cause I heard that the windows have a break sensor for the alarm to sound if someone tries to break-in through the window.
And I realize the flashers go off when you lock and un lock the car, but they shouldnt go off for no reason, right?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Elder

Then you should know to read up on what your fixxing before doing it!!!!! The glass breakage sensor is for shattering glass, not cracked windshields. Get ahold of a tech-2 and eliminate the siren from the system or you will have alot of random light, and horns. The daytime driving lights are on all the time unless the fuse is pulled, turn on the headlight switch to alow the highbeams and fog lights to opperate, if the highbeams fail to opperate with the headlight switch on then the orange relay (lamp control) is faulty. Alot of times you can take the cover off the relay and resolder the connections on the board. As far as your SID, get a used one and get it fixxed if it's not working. The coil spring for the air bag is most likelly bad, causing your horn to not work, we're starting to see more of this.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
I should point out that when you disconnect the external alarm box, the car uses the horn for its alarm/lock-unlock chirp. So when you said you had disconnected "alarms" I thought you meant the horn, too.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
TSLMember

I was trying to read up on it but most of the threads on here are dead end, like the op doesnt follow up with the post to say what fixed the problem. But ok thanks for hte help. My windsheild is shattered on the bottom. Like something smashed the bottom of it and now its cracking all the way accros.

And I was reading up on the SID thing, I think that if I am correct, if the SID is damaged the horn will not work along with some other things. Or is this just if its not installed?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
Elder

Don't quote me on it but I don't thing the SID has anything to do with the external horn. The SID does controle all of the chirps, bells and clicks inside the car though. If the ribbon has been disconnected throw it away and get a used one. You will fight it forever. The only time the windshield being shattered would have effected the alarm is when it happened.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
TSLMember

oh ok. so can i just get a clock spring from another car or is it something i should buy new? and how much do they usually cost? Could that be the problem with my horn?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
Elder

We've seen the harness in the sreering wheel go bad and the clock spring. There is a sat procedure to installing a used clock spring, normally we are very apprehensive to put used ones in customers cars. They don't seem to last long used. First you have to check you steering wheel though before condeming the clock spring
Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #16
TSLMember

ok how would I go about getting to the horn switch? I tried taking the airbag off but the saab setup is different from other cars.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Elder

removing the airbag is easy.

disconnect battery(!!)

there are 2 screws in the body of the steering handle. one at 3 oclock and the other at 9; they are covered by plastic inserts

disconnect airbag and remove
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
Kad
Avid TSL User

get a scruedriver and there 2 bolts on the side of the weel them out and you will see what next , disconect battery first or you will get Airbag Light and probably will need to take your car to tech 2 to fix that.
Flashing lights , hapen to me once about 2 years ago and never again, its maybe some thing to do with TWICE module ,got to check with tech 2 , or it could be glass sensor , i think sensor is inside passenger light over head , not sure.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
TSLMember

Ok well im gonna try to get a new SID here soon. willthe dealer charge me just scan my for codes?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Elder

You said you are a Mercedes tech? What would your shop do? Of course they will charge you!!! Nobody works for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in