How long can you drive on a turbo that is starting to go? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
SAABeginner

How long can you drive on a turbo that is starting to go?

Long story short, I am in the process of moving to SF from Chicago but I was first going to visit some family in NY. Just as I was leaving, my girlfriend's 2001 Saab 9-5 wagon began smoking horribly out of the exhaust blueish/white smoke. One estimate I received said it was the turbo and I'm currently having it looked at for a second estimate.

The car has sat for about 3 months and then I had the oil changed, it was only after this I noticed the smoke. Since I moved out of my apartment I am staying with a friend until I can get this taken care of. So the best case scenario for me would be if I could drive the 600 miles to NY to get it fixed there. Is this possible or will I do more damage in the end? It only smokes now on startup then it goes away.

If not, does anyone know a place in Chicago that I could buy a rebuilt turbo or that will rebuild one for me? I haven't had any luck. A new one from Saab is $1200 + labor which is not something I can afford right now.

Thank You
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Elder

if you send a pm to chadwick he might be able to help you, are you any good at do it yourself auto work?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Than you, I will pm him. I used to try to do as much work myself when I had a car. But this is not my car so I would rather not touch it myself.

The last thing I want to do is to do something myself and have it go wrong. I would hear about it from the old lady forever.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Elder

hah, sounds like a good plan if you're unsure of your abilities.
i think chadwick charges ~$400-$500 for a rebuild, but he might have something already done that he can well you. it's always cheaper to do work yourself but i know your situation.

good luck

oh and welcome to the link!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Chadwick
Rebuilds are 375 and add 110 if it needs a turbine shaft.

Driving with a dying turbo is kind of like standing on a bomb that doesn't really have a timer on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chad Lowers
Simply SAAB, of Pittsburgh, PA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 9-5 Aero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in