Ac - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Ac

The 9-5s AC has been blowing hot air for some time now, i tried to refill it with the R-134a refrigerant a week or 2 ago. I even bought the gauge that tells you if its empty or full. I put a can in and it really didnt do much and the gauge said it was full. Fast forward to today when i was investigating the the stupid creaking noise, with the pass wheel off i noticed the ac compressor wasnt turning, the belt was moving but for some reason the inner part of the pulley was just stationary, any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 070409143321.jpg (87.3 KB, 12 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Elder

Seized?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Elder

idk, i hit it with a wrench and it started to spin but then stopped. Maybe the gauge i bought is wrong and there just isn't enough R-134a in the system. I dont want to over do it though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Kad
Avid TSL User

dead compressor , need to get a new one ))) about 850 for a good used one with waranty.Clutch on the compressor is dead so easiest(cheap) way is to get used one , new from 1600$ and up.I duno if you can rebuild one , anyway i think that even rebuild will cost you more then used one.

Not hard to replace your self , just need to pump refrigerant out first and get new O-rings for tubes.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Kad
Avid TSL User

my first one died around 130k miles , second one (used) 190k miles , so i made 60k miles on used one ))) i think its very good for florida .
Old 07-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Elder

the car almost has 200k miles, for some reason it seems like as it gets closer to that mark, shits starting to fail lol,

Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kad View Post
dead compressor , need to get a new one ))) about 850 for a good used one with waranty.Clutch on the compressor is dead so easiest(cheap) way is to get used one , new from 1600$ and up.
Wow no.

Try 544 for a brand new on from eeuro. Used are cheaper then that.

In fact, my brother just bought a used one off ebay with a warranty for 175.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
Kad
Avid TSL User

my 205k miles )))

yep , needs alot of attention.Basicly if you keep the car it will become new))))))))))
Old 07-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kad View Post
my 205k miles )))

yep , needs alot of attention.Basicly if you keep the car it will become new))))))))))
eh, slowly but steadily, last month i replaced the fuel pump, now im replacing the sway bar links, eh i still love it though

Old 07-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
Kad
Avid TSL User

yep my mistake new from 544, and used one 150 or so))) lol lol lol))))))
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
Kad
Avid TSL User

for the past year :

water pump
power steering pump
ac compressor
trany
DI
abs module
swaybar links
main and rod bearings
gaskets,hoses,o-rings in many different places)))))))
and much much more that i cant remember)))

i think i spend more time under my car then i spend at work))))
Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
Elder

you wouldnt happen to know if the ac compressor on an NG is the same as the 9-5? im pretty sure its not and its a shot in the dark, but i happen to have a NG compressor hah which i cant get the lines off of i might add

Old 07-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
It is not.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #14
Elder

i knew it

Old 07-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #15
Elder

and why are you up so late or up so early

Old 07-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #16
Elder

look what i found

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...#ht_2645wt_986

Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
Elder

compressors seize if you run them without refrigerant for an extended period, as it is the lubricant.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Before you just go out and buy a compressor, make sure the clutch is trying to engage. if not, you may have other problems.
If the compressor is seized and the clutch tries to engage, all kinds of evil things happen.

I dunno what kind of gauge you bought, but most of the time they read "full" when the compressor is running.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Before you just go out and buy a compressor, make sure the clutch is trying to engage. if not, you may have other problems.
If the compressor is seized and the clutch tries to engage, all kinds of evil things happen.

I dunno what kind of gauge you bought, but most of the time they read "full" when the compressor is running.
Damn 18 replies and this is the first person to help BEGIN to diagnose.

All AC compressors (that I know of) have a center section that does not spin when the clutch is not engaged. You need to see if the ac system is "calling" for the clutch to engage or not. I believe there is one single wire to the compressor that is fed +12 volts to engage the clutch. I'd check for the required voltage, see if its there. If it is NOT, I'd jumper 12 volts to it while the car was running and see what happens.

I've seen cars whose ac system was empty not call for the compressor because the charge was so low. So in order to get them to draw any freon in at all, you had to jumper the compressor to get it to run.

Last edited by Tboy; 07-05-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in