2001 9-5 Auto Transmission and Real bad noise in Right Front Suspension - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Wolf Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Wolf
2001 9-5 Auto Transmission and Real bad noise in Right Front Suspension

Okay,

Automatic transmission has started to slip, I think,coincidentally after I tuned my car, first occured at very high speed and high load, 100+mph, now it's happening anywherre between 40 and 60 MPH when I accelerate. I tested it today and it starts jumping a little bit almost as if TCS is kicking in but it isn't and then I hear a clicking noise coming from the transmission. I'm not stomping on it but just accelerating to say, merge onto the highway. Just really started happening as the temp got warmer? Would that have an effect? I figured the tranmissions teeth would be larger due to thermal expansion and grab better?

Also loud noise coming from what I think is the sway bar on the right front side. I believe that the bushing is shot and sway bar is bouncing against the metal ring it sits in. Anyone else ever had this problem? I can't reproduce the noise with the car jacked up in the air though, even when moving it up and down with a crowbar.

For the Transmission
Check the fluid, if bad flush it...
Add that transmission fix stuff...

What else can you guys suggest? Anyone intimately familiar with this model year transmission or the previous model year? Has anyone had to replace one?

For the Suspension
Has anyone else had this or a similiar problem? It's definetly suspension related as it happens only when riding over bumped. It's not a grinding but more of a metallic thud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Saab 9-5 Sedan- Silver
2000 Saab 9-5 Wagon- White
2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon- Steel Grey
2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan- Steel Grey
2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan- Cosmic Blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Elder

Do you beat on your car alot? That will eventually take its toll on the transmission, especially the autos if your car is tuned. However, many of these symptoms can be fixed by a flush and fresh tranny fluid so I think that would be my first option on the list. Make sure you have Saab tranny fluid in there, that could cause issues as well if its another brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Do you beat on your car alot? That will eventually take its toll on the transmission, especially the autos if your car is tuned. However, many of these symptoms can be fixed by a flush and fresh tranny fluid so I think that would be my first option on the list. Make sure you have Saab tranny fluid in there, that could cause issues as well if its another brand.
I use the car, it's my daily driver but I have never beat the hell out of it.

Update:
I let the car and tranmission cool down for about 5 hours and then drove it, I couldn't get it to slip at all even if I tried. When the transmission slipped earlier today it was hot. Would this help anyone diagnose a problem?

Last edited by Jeff_Wolf; 04-28-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Check out the front sway bar links. They can create some noise/rattle issues, and are a pretty cheap fix.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA View Post
Check out the front sway bar links. They can create some noise/rattle issues, and are a pretty cheap fix.
Replaced both links on both sides of the car, Drivers side in February and Passengers side about 4 weeks ago, I thought the same thing but unfortunately it did not fix my problem

I think it might be these:

Any thoughts?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Elder

On the tranny front, I dont think there is anything wrong with it... When I do pulls in second and some of third, the torque converter doesnt lock so its going to go to a stall point where the tranny computer finds it optimally for the amount of throttle input and load...

I would seriously just change the fluid to be honest, its not expensive and oil fluid can cause a bunch of issues.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in