Bought a 2k 9-5 Aero last night, minor probs with exhaust smell in cabin and... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Bought a 2k 9-5 Aero last night, minor probs with exhaust smell in cabin and...

I bought a 2000 9-5 Aero from the second owner who was a female doctor so the car was very well maintained I have a stack of service records with it. It just turned a 100k. The car is a 5spd and sometimes can be difficult getting into reverse. All the gears shift very smoothly and reverse does work perfect too however sometimes it is difficult to get the vehicle into reverse. Also there is a smell of exhaust fumes inside the car with the heat on and finally the rear-end seams to sway a little if I hit a bump on the highway. Other than that the ext/int are in excellent shape now my dilemma is weather or not to sell my 98 9000 CSE 5spd.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Oh keep the 98 9000. Its an aero without having the aero body or interior and since its a 5spd you have the much desired #6 td04 turbo (full aero power).

As for the 9-5's issues. Check the exhaust for holes or damaged flexpipes as the fumes may be getting pulled in via that A/C intake. For the rear I'd look at the bushings and make sure they aren't worn out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
The sway in the rear is the classic sign of the rear shocks going out. Those go out early on the 9-5, I replaced them at about that mileage on my 2000 9-5 Aero.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
SAABeginner

Thanks guys.. any Ideas on the trans having intermittent difficulty going in reverse? And I think I am most likely going to keep the 9000 I just installed the JT 3" turbo back and got my K&N intake from Genuine Saab and 3.0 fuel regulator I gotta order a 3 inch universal cat... after that I am going to purchase a JZW Stage 3 ECU...
Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Well thats an issue with the reverse gear shaft. If the setup is the same way in the F35 as it is in the f25 (9-3 s/se gearbox). The following below is a summary of the f25 gearbox reverse from wis.

Reverse gear has its own shaft in the gearbox which holds a reverse gear wheel and a reverse gear pinion. Basically the reverse gear wheel is constantly messed with 1st gear pinion. The reverse gear pinion is constantly messed with the 1st/2nd gear syncromesh sleeve on the output shaft. There is also a syncromesh on the reverse gear shaft to match up the wheel and pinion so that the rotation is transferred from the input shaft to the output shaft.

So in essence if your only having problems with reverse then your issue could be isolated to the reverse gear shaft and the syncro there. Otherwise if your starting to have issues with 1st and 2nd grinding that could also be the location of the issue.

Last edited by NahumCC; 01-29-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Many times the trick to reverse is instead of shifting straight from N to R, go 1st to 2nd then R. Something I've had to do on lots of stick 9-5's and almost anyone with a 5spd c900 has probably had to do that to.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
SAABeginner

Ive heard that before I guess it aligns the syncros Ive been trying to research the problem it seams the shift linkage may be a possibility for my problem. Apparently there is a Saab specific tool that is used to align it. I think there is also a retro part kit as well. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I would bet it is just a shifter lineage alignment issue if you're just getting resistance and not actual grinding.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Elder

uuhh WRONG

All wrong ( I wish people would refrain from guessing about issues unless they have the data) I remember being confused by all the guessing replys when I forst posted problems years ago... not to be a hard @ss or act like I know any better, it just makes it easier for a first timer if you dont guess... and I have lived through this

The early 9-5 tranmsission ( yours 2000 like mine) have an update kit that is to be used if you see any of the problems on the list here:

Complaints Parts Part Number
Blocked 2nd gear Synchromesh hub 1-2 51 64 041
Blocked reverse gear Reverse Leaf spring Kit 52 57 910
Difficult to engage 3rd-4th gears Synchromesh rings 3rd-4th
Reinforced shift fork 3rd-4th
Leaf springs x6 51 60 296
87 49 749 (Kit # 54 40 524)
87 43 791
Difficult to engage 5th gear Synchromesh sleeve 5th Synchromesh ring 5 th
Leaf springs x3 52 59 353
51 61 005 (Kit # 54 405 532)
87 43 809
Difficult to disengage 3rd-5th Selector bearing bracket 54 40 144

You are describing the "blocked reverse gear" symptoms... classic...

Link to Genuine Saab transmission TSB

Another thing you can try ( that is easier than rebuild with the update kit) is to change the manual transmission fluid to the new Saab MTF 0063 ( if it has not been cahnged already) Check you rrecords. This fluid will greatly improve shift quality in early transmissions and its realtively easy DIY

Try the fluid change and see if that helps first:

New Manul Trans fluid change
Old 01-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
SAABeginner

I am going to start with the fluid flush/change... jssaab you indicated you have the same year car, did you ever have these issues and if so did the Saab MTF 0063 help at all?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Elder

Yes I had these problems and the MTF helped a lot... Make sure you follwo the drain and fill instructions ... I did eventually rebuild it with a Quaiffe LSD and the kit... and it now is smooth as silk ( like my 03)
Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Since it looks like jssaab has the trans issue covered, I would re-iterate that in all likelihood the exhaust smell is from a leaking flex pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in