Braking Issue!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Exclamation Braking Issue!!

So I was told that I needed new brakes and so last night, It came back from a long trip and when I was almost home and I pulled up on the stop light. I press down on the brake and it bit for a second but then the car just kept going. I really sunk the brake pedal and nothing I dunno what's going with it. I put some brand new brake pad in the front today and I also checked the brake fluid and it's at Max. I did notice a bit of a leak on the top of the brake fluid reservoir. Even with the new brake pads it's still doing the same thing, It's really hard to brake.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Elder

Brake booster or Master Cylinder has let go... You are not building pressure in the brake system. Are you a DIY or a "where is my indy" kind of guy?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Stupid question maybe but did you bleed the caliper that you changed the brakes on?

After that if yes then I'd go with what Nick says.

Also is your car and auto? If so is the vacuum pump working properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Brake booster or Master Cylinder has let go... You are not building pressure in the brake system. Are you a DIY or a "where is my indy" kind of guy?
Well I am a DIY kinda guy but it's really cold now..I had a mechanic change the front pads today hoping it was that but it's still doing the same thing. I checked the lined on the brake booster and it seems to be fine.

P.S he didn't bleed the brake just change out the pads, and it's an Auto
Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Elder

The 9-5 Brake boosters are pretty notorious for letting go. You are not down on fluid correct?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
The 9-5 Brake boosters are pretty notorious for letting go. You are not down on fluid correct?
No I am not. I just checked that and It seems to be holding at Max right now. The last time the fluid was changed was two summers ago. I just got new Rotors and I was planning on getting some Akebono pad but then this happened.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Ok here is another one for you... do you have one of these....#4 in the picture.

Mine whent bad and it started pumping engin oil into the Brake Booster which caused me to have no brake pressure when stopping at all. Pedal felt fine but you had to flintstone it to stop.

Had to pull the master off (leaving the lines connected) and vacuum pump out the oil from my brake booster. Then pull apart the aux vacuum pump and replace the seals in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #8

Yes I do have one of those. I actually just replaced the seal that connects the line vacuum line to that. I noticed that there was Oil on the side of the brake booster, so steve you could be right.

Last edited by SaabBlackMan; 01-27-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Kad
Avid TSL User

you got air in the system , check for any leaks even a very small hole could pump air in the system , and im sure you know how to get air out of the system.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #10

I will try to get the brakes bled this week and see what happens When I get half way and I push harder on the pedal it will go down further but it feels like the brakes are biting but eventually I would come to a stop. I don't know if the new pads needs braking in..but I will keep driving it and see what happens.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

This sounds like a problem with the MC. But, if any brake work was done prior, it could also be the spring that gives tension to the caliper. Make sure it was at least reinstalled properly after the pads were installed. A booster problem would result in overall harder pedal pressure. Same with a vacuum tube problem.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbndtrain View Post
This sounds like a problem with the MC. But, if any brake work was done prior, it could also be the spring that gives tension to the caliper. Make sure it was at least reinstalled properly after the pads were installed. A booster problem would result in overall harder pedal pressure. Same with a vacuum tube problem.
Well tomorrow it's going to snow and I don't know if I am going to drive it but i am going to have a trusted mechanic look at it. So hopefully they can figure out what the problem is. I mean I would think that because it work partially then It might not actually be a booster issue. but I could be wrong.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
At least give him a hint that the master cylinder and air pump thinger (#4) are the suspects if bleeding doesn't solve the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #14

I brought the car to the dealer and found out that it's My brake booster.
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...spx?id=4836656

But what cause the problem in the first place was this:
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...spx?id=5331095

Anyone know how hard it is to replace the Brake Booster? Any Instructions?

Last edited by SaabBlackMan; 01-28-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in