Some Questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Some Questions

My dads friend at our local dealer called him the other day saying he is getting a 99 9-5 in this week, it has 86k miles auto, leather interior etc etc, price is confidential because i may buy it fix it up drive it for a bit while the 9k is getting fixed and sell it, im going tomorrow to take a look at it with my dad, some known issues with the car: cat is bad and the sid is pixilated

Cat shouldnt be a problem iv seen some universal ones online for $50, im sure i can cut the old one out and clamp the new one in or i can have a friend of mine weld it in, are universal cats alright? any recommendations/suggestions, why would the cat go bad after 86k miles?

I dont know how bad the sid is pixilated but if its not that bad i can fix it easily if not ill just send it out and have it fixed http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab-...ht_1886wt_1147

What else should i look for? im pretty sure the abs module is fine, i know thats prone to failing but iv had that fixed before so im not worried about that, any info is welcomed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moreboost; 01-14-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Elder

Any ol' cat should be okay.

How much?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

If the cat is bad, I would bet the MAF has been fucked for quite some time and never replaced. The stupid MAF's don't throw a CEL until they are far beyond fucked, so you can be doing some decent damage without knowing anything is going on if you aren't paying attention.

Obviously, watch out for sludge. You should know that but it never hurts to bring it up. Since its at a shop, I would ask them to drop the pan and check it out. Its pretty easy on the 9-5, no fucking with the subframe or anything stupid.

CPS is prone to failure as well, but the symptoms are fairly obvious and its cheap and easy to replace. Make sure it has the #6 PCV update. The easiest way to tell is to look at the dipstick tube, check the GS site for pics and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Around this mileage the suspension might need some work as well, but it shouldn't be anything too bad.

Check the service history and see if it got the DI recall. If not, you can get yourself a brand spankin new DI free from the dealer. Though I seem to recall there being something about 99's not being eligible... I forget.

That should be it, but if I forgot something I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Elder

Thanks ^^^ any way to check the sludge issue without dropping the pan? what about the MAF? any way to make sure thats its not ruined , if its messed up the car wont idle properly right?

Last edited by Moreboost; 01-14-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Elder

pull the valve cover
Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
Thanks ^^^ any way to check the sludge issue without dropping the pan? what about the MAF? any way to make sure thats not fucked, if its messed up the car wont idle properly right?

hah thats a secret
Like Castor said, you can pull the valve cover to check as well. Honestly though, with a lift... its really not THAT much harder to check the pickup screen in the pan which is a much better indicator. Its seriously like 5 bolts.

As for idling properly, I never noticed any problems with my idle at all with the bad MAF. It was more during WOT that you could notice it, but even then it took awhile for me to figure out it was the MAF. The only real way is to test it with a multimeter or check your AFR with a wideband, at least AFAIK. They should be replaced at ~60k, so if its an original I would do it anyways.

Last edited by Aero02; 01-14-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Elder

Pan is like 12 bolts and you gotta move the engine a tad to get it by the subframe ( but all worth it though ( Mechainics typically charge 300-350)

The SID is a non-issue, get it rebuilt from BBA remanufacturing for 100 total and it is guranteed for life ( no a universal one will not work it is CANBUS fed I believe)
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Elder

We finally went to test drive the 9-5, its still going through the whole trade in process but once thats done more than likely we will buy it, i didnt get a chance to find out about the sludge but i checked the oil and seemed fine, they say the car is in great shape, which it was, ill probably drive it for a little while or ill just clean it up and sell it, i need the money hah stupid rebuild, they replaced the o2 sensor but i think there is still an issue with the cat, there is no CEL though, the pixelated Sid i can fix its not all that bad, i drove the car it ride really nice, the seats are in pretty good condition, it handles really well, and to be honest for the price you cant go wrong (still a secret) i had the camera on me so i took some pictures

This picture is pretty cool

It only had 81k miles i though he said 86k, even better

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in