Coolant leak & accelleration startup shudder - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Coolant leak & accelleration startup shudder

My 9-5 V-6 has been leaking coolant for a couple weeks. It doesn't leak all the time, only occasionally and mostly only when it is off. It is leaking high in the center against the firewall. Any ideas? Will post photos soon.

Also, often times when I start up from a stop or slow roll I either get a clunk or a shudder when it starts to move. I had my mechanic take a look at it and the only thing he told me was the right hand motor mount which I replaced. I didn't notice it for a week or so and then it started up again. It doesn't happen all the time, only sometimes. Could the motor mount have broken again or could it be something else?
Edit: This is an auto and does not occur at speed or when starting up in reverse.

My climate control system is also stuck on defrost and will not change if you select any other vents. I was looking around on eeuroparts and found these two things, could it be one or both of them or would I need the blend door repair kits or are those just for hot/cold blending?
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...spx?id=5334693
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...spx?id=4633939
Also, where are these parts located in the car?

Thanks

Last edited by ChevyCorvette541; 11-10-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Elder

Coolant leak from the coolant bypass valve...

did you do the climate contol diagnostics to see what code you are getting?

ACC faults
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

I did the diagnostics several times over the past couple months and didn't get any codes.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Elder

THen you need to pull the collant box and take a look to see if any of the directional flaps are not engaged to the motor arms anymore.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

both my 9-5 leaked from that area and replacing the coolant bypass valve fixed it.

79 dollars and two hours of garage time, less if you are more mechanically inclined

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to gytre1 Send a message via Yahoo to gytre1
thats the bypass valve (as previously said) and it doesnt take too long to do, just need small arms and hands.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gytre1 View Post
just need small arms and hands.
Guess I need to wait 60 years for osteoporosis to shrink my hands/arms.

Anyone have any ideas about the shudder/clunk?

Also where do I access the box jssaab was talking about for the climate control sys?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to gytre1 Send a message via Yahoo to gytre1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCorvette541 View Post
Thanks

Guess I need to wait 60 years for osteoporosis to shrink my hands/arms.

Anyone have any ideas about the shudder/clunk?

Also where do I access the box jssaab was talking about for the climate control sys?

its not difficult if you have big arms and hands (like myself) but it would be more enjoyable if it was possible lol. well at least as enjoyable as it will get.

coolant box isnt too hard to get to (it was alot easier in my ng900) but the box or heater core box is under the dash behind the radio, acc, SID, ect.. and its not too fun to get to but it almost seems easier in the 9-5 because of the carpet just able to be pulled back and the dash doesnt seem too hard to get undone

this is the picture for the cooling/heating system from eeuroparts and its the big box in the middle. im not sure of the instructions on how to get it replaced exactly but it requires removal of dash parts (radio, ect..) and im sure someone can chime in with some WIS instruction or alldata instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clunk, coolant leak, motor mount, shudder, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in