Odd Noise. Motor Mounts? Shift Linkage? Front Shocks? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Odd Noise. Motor Mounts? Shift Linkage? Front Shocks?

My 9-5 Aero has developed a slight noise in the front. Basically you can hear a slight thunk every time you let out the clutch and engage the drivetrain. It seemed like a general rattley suspension noise (albeit not a loud one) until I was able to correlate with application of load on the motor by letting the clutch out.

Also you can hear this in the cabin more than you can from outside the car. It's not a loud noise at all. Until I correlated it to the clutch action, it felt and sounded like a slightly loose front suspension.

My first suspicion was the subframe steering brace had come loose (I have one from the SC group buy awhile ago). But I got under the car there was absolutely no play at all when I tried to move it around.

The car has 130k on the clock, and the front shocks have never been replaced. The transmission was dropped and a Quaife LSD was installed at 118k.

I used to own a 9000 Turbo, so my first thoughts naturally were motor mounts.

I would appreciate any suggestions on this issue. TIA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
A loose subframe bolt can make noise like that.

Even if there is no play that you can feel, it can still make sounds.

When I got my 9-3, one was 1/4 turn loose. Then I tightened it with a 4' bar. Then the noise went away
Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
JK
Elder

I was going to say the same thing Palmer did. There is a lot of stuff under there that might "feel" tight to a person trying to wiggle it, but really could use a tiny bit of snugging up.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
GA
Elder

That's helpful - obviously tightening the brace up is #1 on the to do list. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

could be popping sway bar links?
Old 10-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #6
TSLMember

Intermediate steering shaft? I think if you hear it inside the car more, this could be a possibility.

\'02-9-3 SE-ex-wife took it

\'03-9-5 Aero Wagon
"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
GA
Elder

Well, progress has been made but not a complete solution. I ran down to Moonracer's place yesterday and the sway bar links were replaced. This was a big improvement, and definitely took a bunch of the light thunking away. Plus the car handled better.

But there is clearly some driveline lash noise remaining. I can hear it much more clearly now that the other noises are gone. It's not loud, and you can hear anything above 35 mph, but it's there. In fact, it's a bit of a double noise, a slight thunk followed immediately by another one.

(And Marty, it's not a turbo/BOV/air noise. I'm sure of that -- I'm much better at creating the noise now that I can hear it clearly).

I'm still thinking motor mount(s).

Old 10-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
TSLMember

I am 100% positive it's motor mount.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
GA
Elder

Oddly enough, you know what I think it is - the front bumper cover has come loose where it attaches to the front of the wheel arches (on both sides). I think I'm getting some plastic thunks as it flexes when I start and stop.

But the sway bar links fixed 95%+ of what I was hearing. Car feels fine now, with just an occasional odd light thunk.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
TSLMember

Oh I see
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in