How do you pull the Axels from a 9-5? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Elder

How do you pull the Axels from a 9-5?

Pulling my engine soon, I have removed the power steering pump and AC. Gotta take the axles out but I can't see how to pull them. is there a lock ring or something and then they can pullout of the spline?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Take a small crow bar and place it right behind the driver cup off the driver side axle at the diff housing. Should only need just a little force to get it to pop right out. Thats how I did mine. As for the passenger side I don't know what to suggest since I was pulling my trans out that axle came out on its own as I removed the trans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Elder

That's what I was thinking about doing but was afraid I would screw it up thanks Nahum...

Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
That's what I was thinking about doing but was afraid I would screw it up thanks Nahum...
You'll be fine. Like I said just use a small one to get in there and it'll only take a little bit to pop out the splines from the diff on the drivers side. If I was at my computer (up on campus) I'd look up in WIS on what to suggest for the half shaft that runs from the passenger side of the diff to the passenger axle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Elder

Looking at Eeuro and their break down photo of the axles I'd be willing to bet you could do the same thing at the passenger side driver cup where it meets the half shaft axle in the support bracket. Trying to find a in car picture of the axle setup to confirm.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Looking at Eeuro and their break down photo of the axles I'd be willing to bet you could do the same thing at the passenger side driver cup where it meets the half shaft axle in the support bracket. Trying to find a in car picture of the axle setup to confirm.
Will do thanks...
Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Jssaab, wish I could be more help. It was more than a year ago when I pulled the 9-5 axles for my rebuild.

I do remeber the drivers side pulled right out. I disconnected the lower ball joint (three bolts) and pushed the lower controll arm down to free it. Then I pulled the whole strut assembly away to get the spline out of the hub. Then I just pulled on the axle like Nahum has suggested and it came out.

The pass side was different!!! You know it is in two section? ONe section is straight and rides in some sort of carrier bearing around where the alternator is. The other side is a normal axle with to cv joints. I was trying to pull the axle out with no luck. I got under there and saw a HUGE c-clip holding it it. My crappy Harbor freight c-clip pliers were bending under the load of the clip. What I ended up doing is cutting the clip with a die grinder, and then picking it out.

Since you have the alternator out, I would suggest removing the bracket that holds that carrier bearing in. The straight shaft pulls right out of the tranny.

When I put it all back together, upon examination of the halfshaft I couldn't figure out HOW that c-clip actually retained anything.

Im going to look in WIS right now though, you've got me curious. Of course, the c-clip did NOT go back in

Tboy
Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #8

OK it looks like the C-clip removal was not necessary. Wish I had the wis before. The C-clip captures the intermediate shaft bearing (which is also press fit). There is one on either side of the bearing. Wis just says to drive the shaft out with a brass drift hammer. It should have come out just like the drivers side. Mine didn't.

Guess I should also get one of those c-clips and put it back on the carrier bearing!!

Tboy
Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
How do you pull the Axels from a 9-5?
Hit the eject button to get the Guns N' Roses album out.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
OK it looks like the C-clip removal was not necessary. Wish I had the wis before. The C-clip captures the intermediate shaft bearing (which is also press fit). There is one on either side of the bearing. Wis just says to drive the shaft out with a brass drift hammer. It should have come out just like the drivers side. Mine didn't.

Guess I should also get one of those c-clips and put it back on the carrier bearing!!

Tboy
Thanks Tboy that will help too, going to get back at it on Sat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Hit the eject button to get the Guns N' Roses album out.
RLMAO ...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
SAABeginner

I know this post is a couple years old, but I'm running into a problem trying to get the drivers side (left) drive shaft removed from the transmission. I've exerted a lot of pressure with pry bars, but without any luck. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

It's actually very easy, and I've never use a pry bar to do this. It just requires a bit of strength. Since the splines are meshed with very close tolerences, any force applied to them will result in a lot of friction. What I do is line up with shaft so that it is perfectly straight at both ends and give one powerful tug. This will only work with the CV boots holding everything together.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong View Post
It's actually very easy, and I've never use a pry bar to do this. It just requires a bit of strength. Since the splines are meshed with very close tolerences, any force applied to them will result in a lot of friction. What I do is line up with shaft so that it is perfectly straight at both ends and give one powerful tug. This will only work with the CV boots holding everything together.
Hi fong,

I first tried the "one powerful tug" method, and ended up separating the inner crosses from the inner driver, leaving only the inner driver connected to the transmission. I proceeded with pry bars, being as careful as possible to exert equal force on either side. I was able to exert significant pressure, but it wouldn't budget (not with sudden pressure, nor with slow and easy pressure).

Finally I decided I would end up breaking things I really didn't want to break. So, I just fit my new axle into the existing driver and called it a day.

A perfect solution? No. But a whole lot better than needing to pull the transmission.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in