Slight Oil Leak! Can't find where its coming from. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
TSLMember

Slight Oil Leak! Can't find where its coming from.

okay, so i have a brand new oil gasket that i put on a few weeks ago yet i am still leaking a very small amount of oil. Im not losing like all my oil in afew days or anything like that. Its just very small drops that im losing. i dont think its affecting the car in a bad way or anything cause i haven't noticed any damage or a check engine light. i would like to get this fixed though just to be on the safe side. anyone have any ideas on where this oil could be leaking from or how to stop it? is there some part that needs replacing? please help.

thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
oil pump oring, crank seal, rear main, oil pressure switch, the oil gally plug on the back of the head, oil cooler lines........... weres the oil coming from?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgeebee88 View Post
oil pump oring, crank seal, rear main, oil pressure switch, the oil gally plug on the back of the head, oil cooler lines........... weres the oil coming from?
haha wow i had no idea there were that many possible places were oil could be leaking from. to be honest i have no idea. i just see the small drops of oil on my driveway. haha umm the best i could tell you is that the oil seems to be coming from the passenger side.

near the wheel i guess you could say. do you think my local autoshop could find the leak and repair it? or do i have to drive all the way to a saab dealership?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Elder

Near wheich wheel? The passenger side it coudl be the main seal on the crank near the pulley. Near the drivers side may rear main seal or either wheel coudl be tans oil from the drive seals....
Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
TSLMember

its near the front passenger side wheel. other than i have no idea. im just going to bring it in to the shop and see if they can find anything.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #6

its probly dripping off the pan. that could be anything i listed above because the oil pan is the lowest part of the engine. the only way to find out it to get under it and see it ifs comeing off the front of the engine or the sides
Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to gytre1 Send a message via Yahoo to gytre1
if its coming off the right side (in my case it is and its the front crankshaft seal/oil pump seal) but it could be oil pan gasket, drain plug, crank seals, valve cover gasket, or like jssaab said, drive seals
Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
TSLMember

yeah its just a small leak so im not to worrried. im taking it into the shop proabably sometime next week though so im sure they'll tel me whats wrong.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

What colour is the oil ?? Depending on the colour it could be for brakes, power steering etc.

1992 9000 CS Nocturne Blue
Daily driver :318i BMW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gytre1 View Post
if its coming off the right side (in my case it is and its the front crankshaft seal/oil pump seal) but it could be oil pan gasket, drain plug, crank seals, valve cover gasket, or like jssaab said, drive seals
- there is no pan gasket, if it was the valve cover there would be burnt oil all over the exhaust mani, and drive seal it would be leaking off the diff not the pan
Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
Elder

From what he's describing, it's a small leak on the passangers side. Has the car had the latest Crank case vent kit installed? We see lots of cars that haven't had it updated yet have leaky crank seals. Once the kit is installed the leak goes away without needing to replace the seal.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
From what he's describing, it's a small leak on the passangers side. Has the car had the latest Crank case vent kit installed? We see lots of cars that haven't had it updated yet have leaky crank seals. Once the kit is installed the leak goes away without needing to replace the seal.
that kit does do wonders! it fixes T-cain tensioner seals really good!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
TSLMember

haha, i doubt my car has that new updated oil kit. where can i buy it from? it seems like it may be a solution to my problem.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #14

i think eeuro has it and i know Geniune saab has it. when you do it your going to want to remove the valve cover and clean out the two breather tubes in there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in