no start, weak battery, rapid click - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Trollerator
Elder

no start, weak battery, rapid click

long story short, i think I drained my battery. hopefully It can be jumper and drove around to re-charge???

I was changing the oil and while draingin re-wiring my boost gauge.

I had the doors open for a little while, and maybe the little puddle lights drained the battery?

the car won't start now, the battey power is weak, and it just goes "click click click" really rapid (starter motor?)

so, did I drain it, how can I test ...? i have a multimeter but not sure how to use it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
yes your battery is dead. You can put your DMM on DC Volts and check the output.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Moderator

dead battery. same thing happened to me when i was installing my audiotroll and left the doors open a bit too long.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Trollerator
Elder

this happened also when I did the gauge on my 9-3 ... but after some rest it came back and started fine. After driving it seemed to recharge. I'll try again

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 08-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Yes get a jump and let the car run for a while. The alternator will re-charge the battery.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
Trollerator
Elder

just seemed like not long enought to drain the batt...

oh well. thanks, just wanted to be sure before I started undoing all my wiring trying to find a problem

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
If your battery dies in a shortish time like that, it may be on it's way out.

Driving around for 30 minutes or so should be enough to charge it up, but you may want to think about a new battery before winter.

Also, this page helped me bit:
http://www.ladyada.net/library/metertut/voltage.html
Old 08-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Check out the article at Swedish Wrench called:
"Saab Battery And Alternator diagnosis"
Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Trollerator
Elder

thanks guys. we jumped it and it fired up immediately... and has started on it's own every time since... let it run a good 5 minutes or so.

I will keep a new battery in mind too.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
Trollerator
Elder

damn, it's dead again this AM.

Gonna go pick up a new battery

besides testing wires, is there any other sign/symptom of bad alternator? I had no trouble before I worked on the boost gauge wiring with doors open, so I assume I'm just an idiot for not unplugging the battery...

Also, on the gauge, I tapped the fuse for ignition for power to the sender and backlight, and cig lighter for the signal it needs to display green instead of white backlight. That wouldn't cause a drain, would it? I think that's how I had it before I took it apart to fix.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Last edited by abdukted1456; 08-18-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I thought that our cars had an emergency shutoff. I swear that if I leave my doors open for 15 minutes all interior lights turn off...

Like others have said.. Put your DMM on DC Volts. Hook it onto the battery. In a resting state it hsould be somewhere around 12 volts... Turn the car on. With the car running, at the battery, it should be reading between 13 and 14 volts.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Maybe you left the interior lights or trunk light on or somthing? Is the power source you used a switched power (ie, it turns off when you turn off the key)?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94CSE View Post
Maybe you left the interior lights or trunk light on or somthing? Is the power source you used a switched power (ie, it turns off when you turn off the key)?
I may have left interior on when working, but shut it off once I realized that. I should check the trunk to be sure of that one... regardless of that I did notice the puddle lights seem to stay on even when the interior lights are switched off.

power sources I tapped on the gauge is "engine ignition" fuse (for 12V ignition) and "cig lighter" fuse (for accessory, it says to use headlight switch or accessory)- is that correct? I am using fuse taps, I didn't cut any wiring. it's possible I had originallyt tapped different fuses and it's draining now that I tapped something different? (should have looked before taking it apart)

I had re-wired to relocate the sender and fix some of the tubing that had melted shut somehow

the guage stays lit for like 5 seconds after shutting off the car, and then goes "click" and shuts off.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Last edited by abdukted1456; 08-18-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

It sounds like you have it wired right, ie, it turns off when you turn the key off.

Check to make sure the alternator is charging, like srp else said, put a voltmeter between the positive and negative terminals and make sure the voltage when running is more than at rest.

I guess the next steps would be to have the battery load tested and/or put an ammeter in betweent he battery terminal and the battery cable and measure the load when everything is off, and start pulling fuses till you find what's causing the draw.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
Trollerator
Elder

I put in a new battery and so far so good...

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in