Think Transmission is DONE!!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Exclamation Think Transmission is DONE!!!

Today while driving home. GOOD THING I DIDNT TAKE THE HIGHWAY

so all of a sudden I heard the car started feeling weak, and as I slow down. came to a stop then starting driving again the car drove fine then i started hearing a serious horrible grinding noise coming from the front of the car then the car was irresponsive. Now I pull over put the car in reverse and the car won't reverse. I gave it some more gas and all of a sudden it flies back quickly then stops. The harsh noise in the front seem to be frequent. I ended up having to two it home. I tried backing up again and the car would buck back when I got to about 4000rpms. I was slowly able to get it up my driveway. I got the fluid change probably about 10K ago and the car seems to be full on fluid. So for the next month or so I say. F*** my saab.

P.S its the moments hatred speaking. Still love saabs. plan on buying a new one after i graduate college.

Last edited by SaabBlackMan; 08-15-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
All the B.S. u put up with when owning a saab is worth it when one day u get in the car and it works well and u fell the boost come on and fly threw the gears. it makes it all worth it.

P.S. my old tune had a nasty tq spike witch killed 2 transmissions.

Last edited by SAAB9-3USA; 08-15-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #3

The thing is ever since I got the tune. The could would lag for about 3 seconds and then it would kick Hard into gear. I think the trans finally fedup

Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabBlackMan View Post
The thing is ever since I got the tune. The could would lag for about 3 seconds and then it would kick Hard into gear. I think the trans finally fedup
auto?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #5

yeah auto. I dunno but what would be the benefits of going from an auto-->manual? I would think it would be Very expensive.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
yeah auto. I dunno but what would be the benefits of going from an auto-->manual? I would think it would be Very expensive.
auto's are from "what i was told more$$$ to fix" other than that i have no expertise in auto trasnmission failures. Is it possibly it could be something else not the transmission ?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #7

Yeah it's possible. The irony is that it was at a mechanic today. Though I don't blame then I have a few mods on there and that scared them a bit. so I think ill be parked up there for a couple months. Just when you think your day is going good something always comes up a messes it all up.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Elder

Kind of an irrelevant question but does the car idle okay?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #9

Well when I start it in the mourning it will idle a bit weird meaning that it will shoot up and down for a little sometimes it will stall but it's been doing that for quite some time. I am still using the LPT spark plugs. once its warmed up the car is fine.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
Elder

Are you getting a CEL when your car fucks up now
Old 08-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #11

None what so ever. The car starts up with no problem. It never shuts off or anything
Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Elder

So it was definately a metal grinding noise and not just a pop?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #13

Yup quite positive. It always there when ever I press the gas the car moves really slow. then all of a sudden you hear the noise.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
Elder

okay.
if it feels like you just ran over a brick wall check the delivery pipe to see if its off the throttle body or is cracked.

otherwise idk
Old 08-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Elder

SO you are runing an unknown tune ( was it form a manual car?) Teh AUto tunes are torque limited to help save teh trans...

Now you know why you need one of those...
Old 08-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #16

well man shit happens u know. All i can do know is just get it fixed. Doing a conversion from auto to manual might be expensive. The way I see it I could either do two things. rebuild the one I have and beef it up to be able to handle the TQ or get another low mileage auto tranny and have the mechanic install that.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
SO you are runing an unknown tune ( was it form a manual car?) Teh AUto tunes are torque limited to help save teh trans...

Now you know why you need one of those...

There is 1 table in the tune for MAX Torque Auto and Max Torque Manual. And then an overall Max Torque limit in the ecu.

(although not my tune) I can say that I would gauruntee that his Max Torque Auto is set with limits to it in the 1st and 2nd gear otherwise it would have ripped the tires off in first and 2nd of his car.

Now my 9-3 is setup (by me) with almost the same torque limits of a manual and it runs perferct with no issues. Its all a matter of how you drive your car and what you do and do with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
well man shit happens u know. All i can do know is just get it fixed. Doing a conversion from auto to manual might be expensive. The way I see it I could either do two things. rebuild the one I have and beef it up to be able to handle the TQ or get another low mileage auto tranny and have the mechanic install that.
Grab a low mileage tranny for the car and go that route.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01 View Post
There is 1 table in the tune for MAX Torque Auto and Max Torque Manual. And then an overall Max Torque limit in the ecu.

(although not my tune) I can say that I would gauruntee that his Max Torque Auto is set with limits to it in the 1st and 2nd gear otherwise it would have ripped the tires off in first and 2nd of his car.

Maybe he was, did you ask?
Stage Three is CRAZY ppst.
SBM was the car ripping the tires off on 1st and 2nd? Was teh ECU from a Manual car and what year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01 View Post
Now my 9-3 is setup (by me) with almost the same torque limits of a manual and it runs perferct with no issues. Its all a matter of how you drive your car and what you do and do with it.
Yours is an auto???

Quote:

Yeah stuff happens but you gotta do your homework or it will keep happening
Old 08-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #20
Elder

Yes my car is an Auto running a Stage 2+/3 tune right now. My main torque limits are set for a max of 390NM across all gears with a cap of 400NM on the master torque max limit.

I do lightly scale my 1000-2400 range back slightly to 360NM and then at the 2750 mark it goes to 390NM.

The same tune on a manual would have a 400NM limit across the board and a 1st 2nd gear limit of about 360NM across the board.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in