Battery Self Drains? Major Problem - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Battery Self Drains? Major Problem

Heard it could be the diodes in the alternator. So I tried to pull it to test it but I can't get it out.....so I just read that maybe it could be the dice box. Question-If the diodes are bad in the alt will it drain the battery when the car is off? Because that's what mine is doing. Help would be much appreciated as my car is in 20 parts and it looks as if I won't be able pull the alt due to there not being a place roomy enough. I have tension and idle pulley, front wheel, serp belt, cat con, most of the motor mounts off, and the subframe lowered. And yes, my friend cranked the motor frame with crow bar but still need and inch. I would go backwards and hook it back up and amp test between alt and bat, but it's too much work, would take most the day. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
TSLMember

have you measured the draw on the batt? are you sure there is one? i used to hook up an amp meter to the battery in series and pull fuses until the draw goes away 1 at a time, that will locate the source then start testing. if you have an amp clamp it's even easier and safer. alternators can draw batteries down if the z-connector (i think that's what it is called, maybe y) is bad because it's where the a/c voltage is sent to ground. if it goes bad, i can start drawing the dc voltage to ground also and we'll dump a batt pretty quickly.

i haven't done this in about 5 years, but that is what i remember, i could be wrong.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Elder

I have herd some times that the trunk light for some reason wouldn't go off when the door was closed. Its worth the minute to look.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Hah! My wife's car (96 9kCSE) had a dead battery on monday. We'd popped the hatch with the remote the last time we drove it, thinking we had to get something out, and forgot about it.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Of course, I need to test for draw now that the alt is disconnected. Will do now. But I forgot to say that when I first put in new battery a week ago I put a meter on it after starting the car and only got 11 something. So I guess that means either the alt is bad and/or I have a major draw somewhere else, and this was more or less right after I connected it. But will go check other draw now. Question- Could the disconnection of the alt affect the metering of anything else? I would not think so. Thanks for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in