Bad computer? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Bad computer?

Well, my dad just bought a 00 9-5 with 180k miles from our local dealer, it runs really strong but the only problem it has is that the speedo doesnt work all the time, and pretty much most of the lights like abs tcs cel are lit, the guys at the dealer said it needs a new computer, i did a bit of research and it seems that the abs computer triggers the speedo and the abs light, how much is it to replace? is it repairable or is it a replace only sort of thing, it has no effect on the way the car drives, any ideas?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Elder

Alright well i did some more searching and i found out that if i remove the abs control module i can get it rebuilt for $200, has anyone had their modules rebuilt? any suggestion would be appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
Alright well i did some more searching and i found out that if i remove the abs control module i can get it rebuilt for $200, has anyone had their modules rebuilt? any suggestion would be appreciated

I didnt get mines rebuilt because I didn't have the time. Its a pretty easy installation. I went to car-parts.com and bought a ABS module with TCS from an 01 9-5 because anything later I believe is ESP. I installed it and all the light went bye bye.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Elder

How much did you pay??

Old 08-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Elder

I found this one, is this what i need? I have a 2000 9-5

2001 95 Electronic Chassis Control Modules
ABS ON PUMP/ACTUATOR Hollander Part# 591-64063

I also found this from another website, it seems cheaper, http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/D...ledProduct=365

It says i can remove my module and send it in, and its less than $200

Last edited by Moreboost; 08-10-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:50 AM   #6

I have a 2000 9-5 also I didnt get it from the Site. on the BBA-Reman site the 139 is to get it rebuilt and the 750 is if you want to purchase one without rebuilding your old one. I npaid $90 for mines and still no issues with that, make sure u get one from a 2001 though 9-5
http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.c...ey=&userPage=5
Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Elder

Why 2001 and not 2000? what difference does it make?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #8

Well if you went the route of getting one from car-parts.com then there is a better chance that they would have done more revisions on the module itself. Less chance of it going bunkers. Or you could just send yours in to BBA in which case you wouldn't be able to use your car for the time that your Module was getting repaired. But it's up to you.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Elder

As far as not being able to use the car, that doesnt really matter i have 4 other saabs in the driveway i think i will go that route just because i dont want to get a used unit and a few month down the road it craps out, by the looks of it it BBA offer a warranty on all their products and services, im gona do some more reading and searching, but most likely i will go down the rebuilt route, thanks for your help Saabblackman, really appreciate it

Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabBlackMan View Post
Well if you went the route of getting one from car-parts.com then there is a better chance that they would have done more revisions on the module itself. Less chance of it going bunkers. Or you could just send yours in to BBA in which case you wouldn't be able to use your car for the time that your Module was getting repaired. But it's up to you.

You can use your car while the module is out, just you will have not antilock... ( which you did not have with the broken one anyway)

Lots of peopels have used BBA for thsi and other repairs and they are 100% good

Just cover the area real tight with palstic and tape it up snug
Old 08-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
You can use your car while the module is out, just you will have not antilock... ( which you did not have with the broken one anyway)

Lots of peopels have used BBA for thsi and other repairs and they are 100% good

Just cover the area real tight with palstic and tape it up snug

That true. But I've also heard of modules that could not be repaired. (not saying thats the case for him. But he would have to cover up the solenoids really well to make sure that dust and stuff doesn't get inside of it. But like I siad it's up to him which ever route is he wants to go. the reason I did it the way I did was because I wasn't really much of a car person and I didn't want to run the car without it.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
As far as not being able to use the car, that doesnt really matter i have 4 other saabs in the driveway i think i will go that route just because i dont want to get a used unit and a few month down the road it craps out, by the looks of it it BBA offer a warranty on all their products and services, im gona do some more reading and searching, but most likely i will go down the rebuilt route, thanks for your help Saabblackman, really appreciate it

Ohh I see yeah I only got one saab lol and I didn't want to put it out of commission. But yeah BBA is your company then. Goodluck
Old 08-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Elder

Sorry guys i forgot to post what happened, i sent my old abs unit to BBA, they got it in 2 days fixed it in 3 and shipped it that same day, so in total it took about a week to get it sent out fixed and back, i left everything open so when it came i installed it right away (i didnt need to drive the car) once i started the car all the lights were gone and the speedo was working, thanks guys really appreciated the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in