Urgent! 2001 AT 9-5 2.3t almost stalling at idle - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via ICQ to Chapel Send a message via AIM to Chapel
Exclamation Urgent! 2001 AT 9-5 2.3t almost stalling at idle

Today we had the air filter, fuel filter and alignment done as well as a ATF transmission fluid drain and fill (3 qts, not the power flush)

When we got it back, we noticed it was idling poorly, the lights were dimming and when taking off from a stop it would lurch forward. Same situation with or without AC on or with tranny in PN or D.

What would cause this. On Thursday I'm leaving for a VERY long trip to Vermont and need this to be working properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
sounds like a vac leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #3

I read that it could be the CPS

Quote:
The CrankShaft Position Sensor also, causes stalling, but it normally happens when coming to a stop or lower speeds.
this is when it happens.

also, it has a new DI Cassette as of 2 months ago and new spark plugs

Old 08-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #4

also, over the last few months during a cold start, the car smokes (white) for about 5 seconds.

doesn't seem to smoke under power though. Just on cold starts in the morning.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Elder

Smoke is probably condensation burning off...or maybe a slight head gasket weep.

I agree with Drewz, I'd bet it's probably a vac leak. It's pretty easy to knock off or break a hose when you're in there doing work. Look for something hose-looking up around the intake that isn't connected to something. Or you could take it back to where you had the work done and tell them to fix what they broke.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #6

personal friend did the work. I'll look for a vacuum leak today. if I don't find any, I'll look into the CPS

Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Never heard of a CPS failing like this. They either completely die leaving you stranded or won't start while hot.

This sounds more like either a vac leak, throttle body issue, voltage regulator, or alternator issue. The last two came to my mind since you said the dash lights were dimming down.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #8

I know the battery needs replacing soon. last test only got 400CCA

of course it's hot out here right now

Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #9

so, I spoke to my friend who did the work for me yesterday and he said that the old fuel filter was DISGUSTING. He thinks it might be the ECU relearning with proper fuel pressure, hence why it's not throwing a CE light.

He advised me to fill it up with 93, dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, throw it in sport mode and give it an Italian Tune Up before I bring it back to him.

Also, I need to have a new battery installed as well.

I drove it to get gas, drove fine, no bogging or weird idle.
Drove it back home fine.

left 20 minutes later to go to my parents house and at first start it idled poorly... was bucking and lurching at low speeds, but once on the highway it was fine. Going back onto regular roads it was fine as well. Stopped at a shop to get something, came back out. Fine again.

So, I'm gonna go grab a bottle of FI cleaner and a new battery and go beat the bag out of it for a few.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in