Brake failure, total devastation (carnage shots) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Brake failure, total devastation (carnage shots)

So I was driving home from the grocery store last night and came around a turn to come up onto a bridge with a slight bump at its entrance. Anyways, as soon as I hit the bump all I hear is CRACK, GRIND, POP, POP, POP, POP, POP, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND. Very loud, very disconcerting. So naturally I stop the car (to the utter dismay of the traffic behind me on the bridge) and check a few things out. No, the tire wasn't flat, no, nothing was dragging on the ground. So I hopped back in the car and starting driving. As the car went faster, the sounds got faster too. I stopped again just after I got off the bridge to check things out in detail, hoping a rock had lodged itself between the rotor and the heat shield... no such luck.

I took the caliper and rotor off today and this is what I found:

Isn't there supposed to be an ebrake in there?

Oh wait, when I took the rotor off, this fell out:

Nice, huh?

Here's my question, car I clean out all the remaining ebrake fragments, put the rotor and caliper back on and drive the car for the time being until new ebrake parts can be ordered/shipped?

Thanks in advanced, as always!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #2

A similar thing happened to my Ford Sport Trac.
One side froze up, toasted the whole setup. I put on a new set of rotors and pads (they were about done before the ebrake wrecked the one rotor) and drove around with no ebrake.
Just don't park on any big hills.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
hmm... my 9-5 has been making a distressingly odd popping / clicking noise when I apply the e-brake on a large hill. This makes me want to check it...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Trollerator
Elder

our e-brake has been F*d up for a while now. We just park it in reverse. When I have to do the brakes in the back i will assess the situation, maybe try a new e-brake kit.

our problem stems from the brake freezing in winter and not letting go when you drop the lever. so we'd get half way down the street and it would just engage while driving. then we would brake real hard a few times, to make some heat and it would let go. but it has gotten real bad and only holds the car from rolling one way. so I am guessing it's fucked and we just don't use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
A similar thing happened to my Ford Sport Trac.
One side froze up, toasted the whole setup. I put on a new set of rotors and pads (they were about done before the ebrake wrecked the one rotor) and drove around with no ebrake.
Just don't park on any big hills.
Must be a ford feature.

I had the same thing happen on my parent's '99 ford ranger. Crappy thing is that it failed, then they back it into their 1 car garage...then they could not move it AT ALL.

I had to drive 2.5 hours up there on a work day to fix their car since the tow company could not fit their tow truck down their VERY narrow driveway
Old 07-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Must be a ford feature.

I had the same thing happen on my parent's '99 ford ranger. Crappy thing is that it failed, then they back it into their 1 car garage...then they could not move it AT ALL.

I had to drive 2.5 hours up there on a work day to fix their car since the tow company could not fit their tow truck down their VERY narrow driveway
I had one heck of a time removing the rotor with the stuck ebrake.
It had worn a grove inside the rotor and the shoes were stuck in it.
I just had my local mechanic put the ebake back in order when I took the sport trac in for state inspection. He said it was fairly common for fords that were parked outside all the time.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
JK
Elder

Yup, my parents rarely drive theirs, it kinda sits and waits until they need to haul with it.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #8

That looks like fun Chris. I would think you could put the rest of the brake crap back on for now. Your ebrake just won't work very well...

As for Ford ebrakes, they like to de-laminate from the backing and fall apart, much like GMs (especially trucks).

Old 07-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #9

I just serviced mine yesterday since the driver side one was hanging up. I was expecting parts to fall out too but it was ok. The expander was badly rusted and could not retract. I took everything off and actually had to file the thick rust off the expander. Reinstalled it with anti-seize. Works good now. I also adjusted the passenger side since that one never seemed to grab.
The job is not to bad, kinda done it before though. The Haynes book helps if you never done it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in