95 aero issue - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
TSLMember

Question 95 aero issue

So a couple weeks ago I went to start my car after driving it to a place for breakfast and it didn't start. It just kept cranking but seemed like it wasnt getting spark. I had a friends dad drive me out a spare direct ignition and once swapped it started right away. However, yesterday I was driving to work and my car was sputtering. It did this a couple of times. I pulled into my work and checked under the hood but everything seemed to be in order. On my way home it sputtered once but when I put it into neutral to coast from 55mph to 30mph it just died. All my idiot lights came on and I rolled my car to the side of the road. I tried turning it over and once again it was not getting starting the same as before. I still had my old DI in the trunk so I tried that and got nothing. I checked all my fuses and all were fine. Luckily for me when putting the new DI back in it started up. I continued to drive the rest of the 4 miles to my house with my check engine light on. I haven't tried to start it since.

Any ideas?

Maybe fuel pump?

I'm going to get it to shucks for a diagnostics, but I figured I'd ask here as well
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

My '99 9-5 SE would start but not crank seeming that it didn't get spark so I changed the DI and it acted like it would start but it didn't. Ended up to be the fuel pump. Don't know if that's the same problem as yours though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

This sounds a lot like what happened to me in my '99 Viggen. I had a failing DI cassette so I swapped in my spare and thought I was all good. Well, the spare DI was in fact worse off than the original but I thought it was something else at the time. Try another DI that is known good and you'll probably find your issue is resolved.

It's been speculated around here than if you leave DI's sitting around doing nothing for a while they die. I try to rotate mine every few thousand miles so this doesn't happen to me again. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I have a blue DI cassette (I think they were dealer ones blue to indicate they were for the shop to test with) in one of my cars. Apparently there is a short somewhere in it because one time my wife's car wouldn't start (a 96 9000CSE), so I swapped in the DIC from my 91, and it started right up. I then installed the blue one in my 91 and it started right up. So I left it like that for a while and a few months later the 91 didn't start. Swapped them again and both cars started and ran. It hasn't done it since (about 2 years). I also have a spare now, put a black one in my 91, the 96 is still running with the blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in