synchronizer gone bad! WTF!!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

synchronizer gone bad! WTF!!!

For the past few weeks, i've notice that my shifter has been popping out of 2nd gear whenever i took turns. It didn't happen evertime, but it did happen quite of few times. Well 2 days ago, i was driving home from work and i went from 1st to 2nd and it went grinding into 2nd. At first i thought i didn't push in the clutch all the way so i was like oops, but then after that, everytime i would throw it into 2nd, it would grind so then i knew it wasn't my fault. I tried granny shifting in 2nd and it would go in and wouldn't grind, but i'm talking shifting very very slowly and glenty. Yesterday i was off to work and everytime i would put in into 2nd...it didn't matter how gently i was, it would grind. So now when i drive, i have to go from 1st to 3rd and skip 2nd cause i don't want to fuck up the tranny. I told my friend whose a mechanic everything that i'm telling you guys and he said it sounds like the 1st to 2nd synchronizer is gone. This fucking sucks! I'm really pissed off about this. He told me it's going to cost around $1500 - $2000 to fix it since they have to pull the transmission apart to replace the synchronizer. Is this what you get when you baby your car!?!? I'm never hard on it because i'm afraid of something breaking. Now this happens! I don't know...THIS SUCKS!

Last edited by MikeyC84; 05-15-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Elder

what you could do is grab a junkyard tranny and use that

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I am in the same boat. The exact same thing started happening progressively worse yesterday. I went to work using 1-3rd and was able to do some 1-2 shifts without grinding.

The day before, I did 3 grinds in a row and was PISSED.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You can be gentle to the car and still have worn synchros. Synchros are nothing more than a brake pad for stopping gears to engage that gear. Also, clutch parts that are going bad (usually parts like the slave or master) can cause conditions like this where it can almost be like the clutch isn't fully disengaging causing grinding of gears.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guteman View Post
You can be gentle to the car and still have worn synchros. Synchros are nothing more than a brake pad for stopping gears to engage that gear. Also, clutch parts that are going bad (usually parts like the slave or master) can cause conditions like this where it can almost be like the clutch isn't fully disengaging causing grinding of gears.
Well I know my clutch has begun to slip a bit in higher gears, thats not the issue.

But I have a feeling my slave cylinder is kind of worn. 55k, 35k of it tuned and everything is original to the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:03 AM   #6

Well if you had a bad slave you would grind in all gears depending on how u drove the car. I've never heard of Saab synchros going quickly, so whats the mileage on your cars? Has your fluids been changed recently? Putting in the wrong fluids could cause gears to grind.

But sad news is if its happening specifically in one gear, that synchro is probably bad.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guteman View Post
Well if you had a bad slave you would grind in all gears depending on how u drove the car. I've never heard of Saab synchros going quickly, so whats the mileage on your cars? Has your fluids been changed recently? Putting in the wrong fluids could cause gears to grind.

But sad news is if its happening specifically in one gear, that synchro is probably bad.
Yep, only 2nd gear.

Like I said, 55k miles, 35k of them tuned to stage 3-4. I am also very nice to my transmissions.

I think I had the trans fluied checked/flushed at the 30k service about 1.5 years ago.

Is there a Redline trans fluid someone can recommend to try and quell the issue?

Old 05-16-2008, 05:25 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The new Saab tranny fluid is RedLine stuff.....

There was also an "update" to the Viggen tranny....do you have it?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DViggen View Post
The new Saab tranny fluid is RedLine stuff.....

There was also an "update" to the Viggen tranny....do you have it?
No.

Its on my to-do list when I have the LSD put in.

I am planning a stage 3 spec clutch, update kit and LSD along with replacing all wear items but I really wanted a bit more time.

If this gets worse I am going to park the car for a few months and drive the Jetta.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:31 AM   #10

You can drive cars with terrible syncros for a long time. Just get in the habit of letting the clutch out in neutral between shifts. Then clutch back in, blip the gas an hit the gear, clutch out. Slows down all of the moving parts in the transmission and 9 times out of 10 once you have it down the transmission wont grind. You just cant shift very fast.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #11
JK
Elder

Yeah, knowing how to rev match and double clutch will take the syncros right out of the equation.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
New saab fluid is not redline.. it is red in color but not the same...

If you keep driving it you just make a mess no matter how careful. The gears and muffs are not cheap.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 05-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
New saab fluid is not redline.. it is red in color but not the same...

If you keep driving it you just make a mess no matter how careful. The gears and muffs are not cheap.
Its really only 2nd gear. Its no real problem to take 1st to about 25 and put it in 3rd. I just want to buy a bit of time to pay off the LSD, get the Spec stage 3 and Vig PP and everything else. I would like to have a couple grand to have this done right.

If it gets miserable I have another car and will just park this. Its going to be parked from Oct-April anyway.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Is going from 1st to 3rd bad in any way for your transmission? I shift 1st between 20-25 mph before going into 3rd gear, like Jameson.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC84 View Post
Is going from 1st to 3rd bad in any way for your transmission? I shift 1st between 20-25 mph before going into 3rd gear, like Jameson.
I have been doing it now since it seems I don't have a choice.

2nd is pretty much out of the equation now no matter what I do.

I give moderate gas in first and hit about 22mph and pop her into 3rd, seems like there are no ill effects.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
i skip 4th a lot due to my love of third gear...

also, 2nd-3rd gear synchros are bad in mine, only grinds are a really hard slam from 2nd-3rd, and the clutch has slipped before, but not as of late.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 05-19-2008, 02:46 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
I have been doing it now since it seems I don't have a choice.

2nd is pretty much out of the equation now no matter what I do.

I give moderate gas in first and hit about 22mph and pop her into 3rd, seems like there are no ill effects.
I've been pretty good not using 2nd, but at times, i'll forget and put it in 2nd and the grinding is getting worse everytime. My buddy said when i get the synchronizer done, i might as well replace all of them and get a new clutch. I really don't need one, but if they're gonna take the tranny out, might as well replace it. I also have a slight oil leak coming from the rear main seal so i guess i'll get that fixed too. Right now i'm not driving my saab. I have a volvo i can use for now, but the only thing is it's not registered. Hopefully i can get my saab fixed soon. I'm just waiting for my friend to get back to me. He's trying to get me a deal on fixing it.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:38 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
It will be cheaper to buy a used box from a junkyard instead of rebuilding the one you have...

Downtime will be less too.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 05-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #19
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Yeah, knowing how to rev match and double clutch will take the syncros right out of the equation.
Amen.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97civicexvtec View Post
Amen.
Umm no.

At this point the car will randomly pop out of gear in 2nd after turning or just because it feels like it. Double clutching and rev matching help to get the car into gear, but its progressed to 2nd being pretty much useless now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in