Nickturbo9-5's Overhaul Extravaganza (death to 56k) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Elder

Lightbulb Nickturbo9-5's Overhaul Extravaganza (death to 56k)

Here's where all the fun is going to happen. Right here, in this very thread. I welcome any comments, feedback and well wishes!

"SAAB 9-5 vs Vivaldi"

2000 9-5 LPT, 5 speed, 140k. "Blown motor" <--- not verified as yet

The Ingredients:

a good B234 out of a CSE

a new Td04 5cm2 (thanks SAABBoost)

add water and stir... right?

This is going to be tough, but I hope much easier than the last one. Over the last 6 years I've gained much experience, air tools (wow, what an idea) and a covered work area (again, clearly genius).

Clock starts today: May 10th, 2008

5-10-08 Pics

Under the VC... You call that sludge? ha! I've seen way worse...

No play in this chain, but see the sludge speck?

And the plugs, 1,2,3,4 respectively. I was told Connecting Rod number 3 let go. Based on the condition of the plugs, I'm not sure... they look fine to me (fouled and old) and #3 doens't appear any different. I don't think the piston hit at least... Hope the T7 head is good!!! I'll need it to make the Franken SAAB9000-5 motor to run this thing...

Next up is a compression test... that and getting it washed. Under the hood is filthy and my keyboard is now too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NickTurbo900; 05-10-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

very nice! that sounds like a fun project. i didn't know the 9000 engine can be used in a 9-5. learn something new everyday. that'll be up and running for carlisle, right?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
Elder

Good Choice. leather?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Elder

Update 5-11-08!

Thanks for stopping in blix. I hope someday that my as yet unnamed 9-5 and Lars meet!
Yours is a stick too, right? And blix, do let me know when you have grown weary of your 5 spoke turbines I want, badly.

The 9000 bottom end can be mated to the 9-5 accessories, manifolds, timing cover, oil pump and head to create a stronger, better 9-5 block then the sludge and failure prone B235. This will be the second FrankenSAAB I've built out of leftovers.

Ok on with the SAAB Update!

I just got the car running! YES! She's alive ! I couldn't get it started initially, but a bunch of fresh gas (siphoned from my parts NG), new plugs and a connected DI later I've got a running 9-5.

By running I mean I can yard drive it... There is definitely a broken rod in there. It sounds WAY worse than Stig's NG900 N/A. Ker CLUNK, ker clunk.

Still this is good news, at least I no longer have a mystery car... and I know the DI, fuel pump, starter etc are all good, the alarm is not active with the fobs gone or something... a big relief when buying a mystery car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
Good Choice. leather?
Yes, a 2000 premium package Sedan. Not bad on the inside, but the exterior has some minor cosmetic needs. Scratches, dings and a bit of rust on the rear wheel arch.

As an aside... Has anyone ever checked the compression on an I4?
edit> It cranks without the DI, just the starter alone will turn the motor.

Well, it's bath time for the SAAB now...

Last edited by NickTurbo900; 05-12-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
I think it'll crank without the DI, or at least with the DI off the plugs so you can check compression of each cyl.

Hmmm, it actually looks pretty clean under that valve cover, i've seen a lot worse.

I'm free monday/tuesday, call me if you want another set of hands

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 05-12-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Elder

Do want... can't have!

ChrisCam... Anytime after noon. Come on by. I'm hoping to finish the NG today (3in' and Vig IC, new front brakes), get that out of the garage, and then start the 9-5 swap....

Also. I bought a new toy. Hope it gets here fast!!! This thing is going to be soo sweet.

Last edited by NickTurbo900; 05-12-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
I want one of those. they make so many things so much easier. Hope all is going well with the car. My project is done and my car is improved.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Elder

I wish I had a garage to wish that I could have one of those

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Elder

Old 05-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
Elder

the GFs look really good.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Update 5-11-08!

Thanks for stopping in blix. I hope someday that my as yet unnamed 9-5 and Lars meet!
Yours is a stick too, right? And blix, do let me know when you have grown weary of your 5 spoke turbines I want, badly.
nada my car is an auto. my next car will be a stick 9-5 aero in merlot. but only when lars is no more, i love that car
Old 05-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Elder

This engine is coming out the top hood off, this car looks bad @$$. Like a hot rod.

There is a 6" I beam in the garage to attach the hoist to. It was under 150$ with shipping.

I think I can leave the trans otherwise in place, subframe too.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
They do look mean with the hood off. Just promise you won't strip it apart as badly as this one:

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 05-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
Elder

thats pretty sick...
if only i could find a sludger 9-5 5 speed, but wait, i cant afford the insureance so cancel that.

id offer to help but you seem to have things under control
looks sick with the gary fishers.
JP

Old 05-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
Elder

Btw, i have 56k and it wasnt that bad.. i was expecting way more pictures. WTF guys
JP

Old 05-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
Nick, if you need anything for that car, let me know.
I will have my parts car for another couple weeks. It needs to be moved from the garage before the end of the month though. Anything that I didn't plan on keeping, I would be glad to cut you a good deal on it.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
Btw, i have 56k and it wasnt that bad.. i was expecting way more pictures. WTF guys
JP
good to hear. I've been putting the pics up at 800x600 mostly so it should be manageable.

Can a Mod edit out the title if its not gonna load slow?

Coming up today is a custom valve cover debut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221 View Post
Nick, if you need anything for that car, let me know.
I will have my parts car for another couple weeks. It needs to be moved from the garage before the end of the month though. Anything that I didn't plan on keeping, I would be glad to cut you a good deal on it.
Thanks, where is your car at nick? One thing I know I need is a speaker grille, drivers door.

<edit> Zut alors! You have a tan interior! Are you selling your interior? I plan to make wooden bases for my old NG seats for 'garage chairs'.

Some Inspirational 9-5 shots.

HOT.

Thinking about wheel choices... poor man's photoshop PMPS=browsing Garaget

Another angle with the GF's, again... PMPS

and finally, I ALWAYS ALWAYS thought the 9-5 and 98 900 and OG9-3 steering wheel was HUGE compared to my <98 three spoke wheel... well here is shocking, photographic proof that I could not have been more wrong... they are identical.

More progress all day today

Last edited by NickTurbo900; 05-13-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #18
Elder

C900 VC that I finally completed. I used a dremel, grind wheels, then polishing wheels with the Mother's Alu polish. It was time consuming but I'm happy with the results. It doesn't show as well in the photo as in person but you get the idea.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Lookin' Sharp!

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #20
Elder

The following is not 9-5 content:

Some pics from the concurrent Silver NG900 refresh.

Whilst touching the IAC hoses...
the dreaded brittle nipple (and hoses). I think these were original. Yuck. Nowhereman, told you it was common!

MBC + A, Valve Cover and new PVC system installed. I polished up the delivery pipes as best I could quickly.

The rear exhaust was ready to fall off when I bought this car, and loud I swapped on the SAAB sport SS rear section. The 3" DP install is going to be tough with the old studs being a bear, need a torch maybe. I want to get this car 100% so I don't have to disturb the 9-5 as it gets some beauty sleep next week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in