Tires are rubbing against wheel wells.... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Tires are rubbing against wheel wells....

I just put 18s on my car last saturday. They look nice, but when i hit dips in the road, my front tires will hit the fenders. I have the same tire size as alexofc69 and he said he's having no problems with his tires hitting the fenders. Is it because i have the facelift front end and that might be because of it? What can i do to fix the problem?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
I really doubt it has anything to do with being a facelifted car.....How many miles are on your car? Are your tires the exact same size as Alexofc69? I have seen two or three 9-5s on 18s with no rubbing problems. Have you checked the suspension?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDSPG View Post
I really doubt it has anything to do with being a facelifted car.....How many miles are on your car? Are your tires the exact same size as Alexofc69? I have seen two or three 9-5s on 18s with no rubbing problems. Have you checked the suspension?
I have 102K on my car now. I don't have the same brand tires as Alexofc69, but same size. I have the Kumho Ecsta ASX 18x8 235/40/18. I haven't checked the suspension. As far as i know the suspension feels fine.

Last edited by MikeyC84; 04-30-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Cambiocorsa Send a message via MSN to Cambiocorsa
I have found that 235 series tires do not fit in the wheel wells unless you have some extreme negative camber going on. 225s are really the widest you can run without any issues. That said, I love my 235s and they look badass. But now I need my fenders rolled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 Saab 9-5 SE Sedan
JakStoll Stage 3+
Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
TSLMember

I am running Sumitomo HTR Z II's. 235/40/18. I dont have any problems. It may be the offset on your wheels. What wheels do you have?

Last edited by alexofc69; 05-01-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
TSLMember

its not the tire its the wheel offset. i run a 225/40/18 with a 18" 40mm offset. you can fit a 235 but the offset has to be in spec. the wheels we are using are within the limits.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to aero93
i have 235/45/r17 aero klingons on now with no problem looking to go bigger though to 18's

Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
TSLMember

My Borbet wheels are a 40mm offset. I dont have any problems.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

How do i change the wheel offset?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexofc69 View Post
I am running Sumitomo HTR Z II's. 235/40/18. I dont have any problems. It may be the offset on your wheels. What wheels do you have?
These are the wheels i put on my car.....

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

These are the tires....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....peed_rating=(Y)

Last edited by MikeyC84; 05-01-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
TSLMember

Im not sure if you can change the offset other than new wheels. Maybe some machined spacers? Seems 38mm offset brings them in tighter?? Do you have pics of you car with them on? Maybe a closeup of the wheel?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Closeup of my wheel.....

Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

Another pic

Old 05-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
TSLMember

offset is set to the wheel. you can add a spacer and push the wheel out a little. the prob is that you should have a 225 on there with 38mm offset.
it is in a bit. but the diff in tire is like 1/3 inch. check the space in the wheelhouse and see how much clearance you have. i also run borbet 40 mm
offset 18" but use 225 so no rubbing.
but check out the spacers they will move the wheel out for sure
Old 05-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #15
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar95 View Post
offset is set to the wheel. you can add a spacer and push the wheel out a little. the prob is that you should have a 225 on there with 38mm offset.
it is in a bit. but the diff in tire is like 1/3 inch. check the space in the wheelhouse and see how much clearance you have. i also run borbet 40 mm
offset 18" but use 225 so no rubbing.
but check out the spacers they will move the wheel out for sure
yeah - 235 with my Borbet 40mm offset. I suspect its like you said. the 38mm is in more. So its probably rubbing some where closer in. I also see that some of the wheel well plastic is hanging?? Maybe thats flapping down as he goes over bumps. I dont know.

Get a set of 225s next tire change or 2mm spacers.

by the way MikeyC84 - your SAAB looks nice.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
TSLMember

these are 225/40/18
Old 05-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Redfoxx
the best thing to do is when you get an inch bigger rim, is to get an inch smaller tire so that when your stock rim and tire stand next to your aftermarket rim and tire they should both stand the same height.

like in your pics for instance the tire looks the same thickness as they do on my 17" factory rims. just need a thinner tire.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

Thanks guys! I got the 235's because that what it said for a recommendation for the rims. I think i'm going to try the spacers first. If that doesn't work, i'll get a set of 225's.

Can i get the spacers anywhere, like autozone or any other car stores?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #19
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC84 View Post
Thanks guys! I got the 235's because that what it said for a recommendation for the rims. I think i'm going to try the spacers first. If that doesn't work, i'll get a set of 225's.

Can i get the spacers anywhere, like autozone or any other car stores?
nope-try tirerack.com or where you got the wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in