can auto tranny slip? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to aero93
can auto tranny slip?

Hey is it possible for an auto tranny to slip like a clutch would?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
yes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #3

depending on how bad, does that mean its going to go, is there a way to fix it without buying a new tranny/ stop it from slipping or breaking any further ?

thanks guys

Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #4

Have you changed/flushed any of your transmission fluid since you've had the car. What year and how many miles do you have?

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #5

just got the car about 2 days ago, 2000 9-5 aero automagic, fluid looked okay but will change this weekend in any case it seems to rev and then catch when shifting from 2nd to 3rd while under full throttle it slips at 4k to about 3k and then climbs back up,

not sure

thanks for all the help and keep it coming, by the way i dont know much about my new car so i will be asking alot!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #6

Yes and its much more serious.... Either the oil pump isnt providing enough pressure to shift the gear or the clutches and bands are starting to slip....

Last edited by Guteman; 04-09-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #7

how long will it last? a while if i dont beat on it i assume, i can swap out the tranny when i can afford to buy a new one.

so there are no preventive measures ?? or anything i can really do?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
TSLMember

It could last a while, and could die soon. Change the fluid and drive easy. The bad thing about AT clutches is the friction material is very thin and once worn, thats it. I limped one around for a year before replacing it. Good luck
Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero93 View Post
just got the car about 2 days ago, 2000 9-5 aero automagic, fluid looked okay but will change this weekend in any case it seems to rev and then catch when shifting from 2nd to 3rd while under full throttle it slips at 4k to about 3k and then climbs back up,

not sure

thanks for all the help and keep it coming, by the way i dont know much about my new car so i will be asking alot!

Maybe i'm wrong here but if i remember on my '00 Aero it did that (always) when the torque converter locked up, maybe i'm reading your description wrong though, usually the revs go up when it slips, not drop.

I was referring to the 4k to 3k drop part, the slipping then catching i'm not so sure about.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
Trollerator
Elder

I had a bmw with auto tranny that slipped a little, and it went out about 4 minutes later. it slipped and then the next time I hit the gas, it slipped so bad i thought it was in Nuetral. I couldn't get it back into gear and had to pull off the highway with no acceleration available. It had to be rebuilt.

that was scary, trying to navigate my way off 787 during rush hour with only brakes and coasting.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 04-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #11

well the rpms will rise fast and then all of a suddent they will drop 1k rpms so it would rise quick to 4k and then drop to 3k and then go back up to 4k, is this right?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #12
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero93 View Post
so it would rise quick to 4k and then drop to 3k and then go back up to 4k, is this right?
We don't know. Is that what it is doing?

My 9-3 w/ auto trans drops down about 1000 rpm when the torque converter locks up in 4th gear. That is the opposite of slipping, its catching, locking up, etc.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
TSLMember

The older 4 speed AT is not considered to be as robust as the 02-up A-W 5 speed model.

Have you pulled the dipstick to check the level, color, and smell of the fluid? Read your manual for proper fluid level check procedure first. The fluid should be full when read using the proper procedure; it should be pink and not smell burnt. If it is dark and smells burnt/fishy/etc, you likely have a problem. First step would be to try flushing the fluid and see if the slip persists.

...be seeing you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in