Suspension toast? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Suspension toast?

Hey all,

My wife's 2000 9-5 Aero now has 113K on it and in the past month or two we've noticed that the car handles bumps really poorly, the rear of the car feels really unsettled and shimmies around when traveling over bumps at speed.

Worn dampers? Anything else that might contribute? Tire pressures are good and the tires have 5K on them.

The car always used to be rock solid stable over rougher pavement, even mid corner....now it feels flightier than a $20 crackwhore with a benjamin to spend on her dealers doorstep.

Always something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
The 9-5 is known for eating it's rear shocks, and it 8 years I doubt the fronts are doing that great either. Get a set of Bilstein HD's for all for corners.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Elder

My thoughts exactly...how do the HD's ride? The Bilstein Sports are almost exactly the same price. I have Koni's on the 9-3 and on the softest setting it's like stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #4

HDs are probably your best bet unless you want stiffer springs too. The Bilstein Sports are stiffer than HDs and have a shorter travel as they're designed for lowered springs. I don't think you'd like the ride. I had HD's paired with my Eibach springs is it was a very good ride, but I wanted something sharper so I swapped them for Sports after a year.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
Elder

Yeah, I'm keeping the stock Aero springs, so it looks like Bilstein HD's it is....slightly cheaper than OEM's anyway.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
check the condition of the inside rear tires as well, at this age/mileage the rear suspension bushings tend to fail causing significant cupping issues as well as a sloppy ride.

FYI, the shocks / struts that came out of my car at 120K miles when I upgraded to the aero suspension were actually still perfectly fine.

Last edited by DeLorean; 04-10-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
JK
Elder

Just a thought...aren't the Konis guaranteed for life?

It might not be a terrible idea to get shocks with a guarantee on them for a car that likes to eat through shocks.

Then again, if you're not going to keep it for long it might not be worth it.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
Elder

Yeah, I thought about bushings too....the tire wear in the rear is nice and consistent...in the front there is a little bit of cupping. I may just refresh the bushings for the hell of it...effing VT roads.

I'd be happy if I got another 80-100K out of the car, so lifetime guarantee on the dampers isn't all that attractive for me. It did 100K+ with the stock setup.

$$$ out the door. Guess my clutch and intercooler for the 9-3 will have to wait.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
FYI, the shocks / struts that came out of my car at 120K miles when I upgraded to the aero suspension were actually still perfectly fine.
Mine were all done at 70K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in