Oil leak, rear main seal - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Oil leak, rear main seal

I was at my buddy's shop on saturday and while my car was on the lift, he said i had an oil leak coming from the rear main seal. He said the leak wasn't bad, but i should keep an eye on it and check the oil level from time to time. Should i be worried about that?

My car - '03 9-5 Aero 99k
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Delorean says that removing the trans on the 9-5 is an evil task. Good luck with your leak. I had mine replaced when I did my gearbox overhaul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

That was the problem that led me to bury my old
Mazda 626. Replacing that oil seal would have been more
than that car was worth, which wasn't much.
I can't recall the price, but it was over $1000.
Best of luck to you. Saabs are much more worth keeping
on the road than 626s.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

My friend said he'll do the work for me. Will not fixing it now lead to more bigger problems down the road or should i be good if i keep checking the oil and making sure it's not empty?

My friend said he'll do the job if i want him too. He said if it doesn't get worse, i should just wait until i need a new clutch. Then he can do all the work at once instead of fixing the rear main seal, then later down the road taking everything apart again to replace the clutch. It would be easier for him and it would save me money.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Check the condition of the PCV system and all of it's associated hoses, often times a PCV system in poor condition can lead to high pressure in the crankcase, especially in a turbocharged engine with large piston<->cylinder wall clearances like the b235. This high crankcase pressure needs to go somewhere and often times the rear main seal acts as a fuse. I know of more than a few cases where old volvos had leaky rear main seals until the PCV hoses were replaced and the problem fixed itself. I don't know how saab engines are with regard to this sort of problem but I'm sure the same thing could easily happen to a saab.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Cool, thanks ACBarnett. I'll check it out. Hopefully you're right.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
You friend seems to know what he's talking about. When leaking oil, other than the slight smell of burning oil and a messey engine, the only danger is leaking so much as to starve the engine of oil. So if you can keep an eye on the level, carry some oil in the car, you should be fine for a little while.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC84 View Post
Cool, thanks ACBarnett. I'll check it out. Hopefully you're right.
On the volvo cast-iron 4 the rear main seal wasn't much more than a felt ring that fitted around the crank, and high pressure in the crankcase could force part of it out so that once you got the pcv system working again to the point that you had negative pressure in the crankcase, you could sometimes "suck" the rear main seal back into place and fox your oil leak. Mind you this all was on an engine that made the old B-engine look high-tech, so things are probably quite different on the H-engines in our cars.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
TSLMember

Saab makes a breather update kits for all the 9-5. i must have put in about 50 in the last month in customers cars. The kit might work for u it the leak is small but the kit is mostly for the leaky timing cover because of the pressure in the block. the kit is about 300 installed at the dealer but u could do it urself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in