is the dealer playing games? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 06:19 AM   #1
Elder

is the dealer playing games?

ok so about 2 weeks ago we noticed some oil leaking out onto the garage floor under my moms 9-5 linear wagon. Its just hitting 2 years of a 3 year lease and turned about 32k miles the other day. Being under warranty off to the dealer it went. First call back "youve got a blown headgasket"...ok weird at such low mileage but ok theyre fixing it for free so who cares. call 2 days later..."youve got a blown turbo car will be here for a week while we wait for a new one". Now this makes no sense...my mom has never boosted this car at all and ive never driven it ...she drives real easy on the car so this makes no sense...not to mention the oil seemed to be dripping from the back of the block...im currently trying to get the dealer to give the turbo to us so i can look at it myself...does this seem right to anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I am experiencing a small oil leak as well, but not one large enough to put oil on the car. It it was from the turbo it would most definetly be at the from on the car since all the oil lines run that way. I boost the hell outtamy car a lot and and notice the smell of buring oil after a long hard run. My problem I am guessing is a loose valve and the smoke/smell cause from further back in my engine...more like oil on my catalytic converter. If the turbo is leaking oil I am pretty sure you could just open the hood or get under the car and see. Take a flashlight and just follow the oil trail to find the problem.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
That's what I would do...check for where the oil is leaking from first.

But also doesn't make a lot of sense to me either..., for an oil leak to lead to a blown headgasket...or a blown turbo especially after the limited miles on her. Was there any indication of smoking, poor engine performance, or the triangle emergency engine lamp showing up?

This is a 9-5 wagon ..and already a blown headgasket and bad turbo after only 33k miles. My guess would be the dealership needs to earn a few dollars under warranty.... maybe there was a recall they are addressing. Just sounds like they are sort of biting from themselves to keep work coming.

I'd find a way to maybe check the oil to see if its got any brownish color to it. what were the results of the compression check or a leak down test to show a blown head gasket. Most shops don't take things that far without at least confirming the problem thru testing.

Ask them to show you the test results of a compression check, then watch the look in their eyes.

Just hope they put her back together right without causing more problems after the lease is up....based on the information you gave, it does sound kind of suspicious to me.

good luck

Old 11-12-2004, 09:55 AM   #4

The car is under warranty which means to replace the turbo they have to claim it and then send the old turbo in to the warranty claims dept. They would not get paid if the turbo was not hosed. They could have broken it themselves but it's pretty unlikely.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Elder

there were no signs of anything but a little oil that appeared to be coming out the back of the motor...no smoke no nothing...i really didnt think the dealer would screw around weve bought all our saabs except mine(like 5 or 6) and one subaru from this guy and we know him personally...its just weird i guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
Elder

so turns out the dealer was actually correct. Final diagnosis - a seal on the turbo failed causing oil to be sucked into the intake side and up into the intake manifold and started squirting out all over from every possible place hence the oil down the back of the motor. Just an interesting little thing that the seal failed since its only 30k miles....oh well

Old 11-14-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
Elder

so you get to keep the old unit Did they even let you see it Ask them how much they want for it :P
for your repair needs
Old 11-14-2004, 10:24 PM   #8
Elder

nah cant keep it..inorder for them to get payed they had to send it in since the car is leased and under warranty...oh well

Old 11-15-2004, 04:43 AM   #9
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
There are some serious troubles with crankshaft ventilation on T7 engines. SAAB has several "upgrades" available but none have had success in getting rid of all troubles. What happens is when you drive easy the oil gets pumped out into the intake and the engine looses oil bit by bit. And since the oil goes away so slowly, the oil pressure takes a long time to reach critically low levels and so the engine recieves bad lubrication for a long time and will be destroyed. It has happend quite a lot here in Sweden and SAAB has repaired on warranty. One sign of this problem is a bit of blue smoke at startup or at sudden WOT.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:06 AM   #10
Elder

interesting info bollman....ill keep that in mind since it sounds like something that could happen more than once

Old 11-15-2004, 08:46 AM   #11

Mention of the oil slowly leaking make me think that the same could be happening to my 9-5. Although I have only seen smoke once and that was about a month ago. It was white not blue so it make me think maybe a valve was loose. I'm taking her in over thanksgiving to have her looked at. SHould I remove my cold air intake and put the box back on before I go in? I also can't wait to see their faces when they look at the exhaust...the 9-5 goes from like a 2 in ch to a 3 then backt o 2 in a stock model its kinda wierd.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:51 AM   #12

So I just talked to my Saab Mechanic. BTW I will never go any place else besides Chick's and Mike's. They are flat out awesome! Anyway....I'm pretty sure the seal on the turbo isn't broken now because if it was and the oil was going in the engine there would be a blanket of smoke behind me. I'm taking it in next week for Thanksgiving and they are going to look at it. On the note of calling them... I asked them about how the halogens had burned away the "sockets' and he said they were really only to make manufacturing easier for the plant assemeblers. He stated that you don't even need them and the wiring they used was a bad choice anyway "They could have made it a lot better but of course they didn't call me before they made that choice" . My saab mechanics are awesome and if you don't live near one and need an answer PM and I'll call them and ask. I forgot who it was but they heard a clicking sound in their turbo and I found out it was their turbo going south probably. By the way did you ever get that figured out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in