My 9-5 headache - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

My 9-5 headache

I'll try to be brief but you know how rants go.

First of all, all total this car which I paid $4,800 for needs between $1,500 and $2,500 in work done to bring it up to good condition.

Things that need fixed.

PCV Update #6
$253.00

Oil PSW Leak
$100.00

Muffler - several holes in 10 in section, interior of muffler most likely rusted completely.
$400.00

Oil Pan Leak
$240.00

Hood Shocks - they seem fine to me so I don't know why they would need replaced.
$97.00

Program SID
$40

Wheels - one was severely bent and since they're aluminum it can't be fixed.
$90-105+ x4

I had the seller sign an agreement stating if my mechanic found any major problems the seller would remedy or buy back the car for the purchase price.

Before knowing about the wheels or the full cost of the muffler the guy was resistant to pay for anything. After finding out about the wheels and muffler I am going to do my best to get the guy to either give me at least $1,300 or buy back the car.

To me, 1/3 to 1/2 of the purchase price is major.

The car is awesome in spite of the problems, it is very comfortable, fast, and fun!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I am calling bullshit they can fix aluminum rimz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Elder

250 for pcv 6 is bull too its a 50 dollar kit. along with 400 for a muffler, i think you need a second opinion on those prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCorvette541 View Post
I'll try to be brief but you know how rants go.

First of all, all total this car which I paid $4,800 for needs between $1,500 and $2,500 in work done to bring it up to good condition.

Things that need fixed.

PCV Update #6
$253.00

Oil PSW Leak
$100.00

Muffler - several holes in 10 in section, interior of muffler most likely rusted completely.
$400.00

Oil Pan Leak
$240.00

Hood Shocks - they seem fine to me so I don't know why they would need replaced.
$97.00

Program SID
$40

Wheels - one was severely bent and since they're aluminum it can't be fixed.
$90-105+ x4
Oh wow... yeah, next time you're near this mechanic and you drop something just kick it to safety before bending over to pick it up!

Check out eeuroparts.com for the exhaust stuff, it's super easy to do yourself if you have the ability to get the car somewhat airborne.

SID programming shouldn't command a $40 charge, that is dishonest business right there. It takes a tech all of 5 minutes to plug in the Tech-II, set parameters and flash the bastard.

PCV Update kits are cheap, and if you put your mind and hands to it, you can tackle it.

What sort of oil pan leak are we talking about here? Did some gorilla of a Quick-E-Lube "tech" overtighten the bolt and crack it? Used parts are abundant for this car if you do need a pan, otherwise the gasket is cheap and an afternoon and case of beer's worth of work to fix.

I'm not exactly what Oil PSW leak is all about, but look into it and let us know... one of us will have a solution for you that is cheaper than shelling out hard earned dollars on superfluous labor.

As for rims, just keep an eye on TSL classifieds, eBay and Craigslist... something intriguing is bound to come up.

Good luck! Owning a vintage 9-5 is a noble task at times, but so worth it.

CL
99 9-5 SE 223k (All original drivetrain, original PCV system)

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine
Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
i agree, you need to check places like eeuroparts.com for other parts prices, although if thats what a dealer priced out for you, and your' not too willing to do it yourself, i'd say try to get the dealer you bought it from to either fix it all, or buy it back.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
if this is a dealer you are taking it to, they all sound like fair prices to me. just because you can get part X Y Z from eeuroparts for $100 does not mean that saab list price for the same part isn't $400 more.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

I worked it out with the seller this evening, he's going to give me $700 back. That should cover the muffler and hopefully most of the cost of the wheels. (if anyone knows where to find some Fondmetal wheels let me know. If I could find the same kind I could just buy one matching wheel instead )

The rest of the stuff isn't as critical and I can take my time and also find cheaper ways to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
250 for pcv 6 is bull too its a 50 dollar kit. along with 400 for a muffler, i think you need a second opinion on those prices.
I'll look at the sheet again, the mechanic wrote his notes of how much the parts cost on the sheet but I think there was a big difference between the cost of the PCV 6 and the end cost.
I did have a second opinion on the muffler. Midas quoted $398 so basically the same cost.

Don't worry guys, I'm not as dumb as I look I am.... wait a second...
I'm checking options to try and get the best and cheapest deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite_embedded View Post
Check out eeuroparts.com for the exhaust stuff, it's super easy to do yourself if you have the ability to get the car somewhat airborne
I thought you had to weld to install a muffler? I don't weld but I suppose I could have my cousin's husband help me if need be.

I can do a lot of stuff with cars as long as it doesn't take a welder or any diagnostic gadgets or removing the engine. If I can get to it I can do it. I'm not a mechanic but I can follow directions or see for myself.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Another question, my fiancee's dad mentioned that since the muffler is (most likely) rusted out on the inside and the holes, it's possible the catalytic converter is bad. Is that right?
Old 11-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic

for $700 you should be able to fix about EVERYTHING on that list.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic View Post

for $700 you should be able to fix about EVERYTHING on that list.

Yeah I'll see. I did see mufflers much cheaper along with other stuff. It'll be nice if that's true.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Why don't you look for an after market muffler? It's cheaper and would sound better. BTW, The original muffler only has two bolts holding it to the pipe and three rubber hangers holding it in place. Good luck. Nice car.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93nut View Post
Why don't you look for an after market muffler? It's cheaper and would sound better. BTW, The original muffler only has two bolts holding it to the pipe and three rubber hangers holding it in place. Good luck. Nice car.
Yeah I'm looking at that, looks like around $199-229 at eeuroparts.com (with or without chrome tip)

Does anyone know where I can find Fondmetal wheels for sale? I found out mine are Fondmetal 9A wheels, if I can find out where I can buy them and the price I could just buy a single wheel to replace my damaged one.

Last edited by ChevyCorvette541; 11-22-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: wrong wheel model
Old 11-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
Elder

http://www.vikingwheel.com/

Check those guys out.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
Elder

Try these too:

http://www.wheelcollision.com/saab4.htm
Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Yeah I got new wheels from Les Schwab (local and western US tire company) and also got a check from the seller of the Saab for $700 to compensate for some of the stuff. Next I need to get a muffler.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
By the time you replace all the hoses that are not included in the kit it can sometimes run close to that. The oil leaks might go away after fixing the PVC system. Keep in mind the muffler has a lifetime warranty also. And it fits well and doesn't rattle when installed corectly. There are many places that can fix the aloy wheels also.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
The entire exhaust system is held together by clamps so getting the mufflers is cheap be it OEM or upgrade. Check out Nicks site, genuinesaab.com, for a good aftermarket system that will sound nice.

Wheels you can get taken care of via vikingwheels.com, think thats the name of the site. They are a Saab wheel business.

Edit: somebody pointed out vikingwheel already.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
VIKINGWHEEL.COM FTW Great guys!

^CLICK ME^
Old 11-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #19
JK
Elder

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=528

nice exhaust, it's clamp-on, no welding.

There are other clamp-on exhausts that are cheaper and nicer the the OEM.

And stuff like hatch shocks...those are about 5min to do both if you do them yourself.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:25 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=528

nice exhaust, it's clamp-on, no welding.

There are other clamp-on exhausts that are cheaper and nicer the the OEM.

And stuff like hatch shocks...those are about 5min to do both if you do them yourself.
Thanks, I don't need a full cat-back exhaust, only the rear muffler. I found a couple on eeuroparts.com that look nice. $199 w/o chrome tip, $229 w/ aero style chrome tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in