Bi-Xenon Question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Bi-Xenon Question

Ok, My 03 Aero didn't come with them, but I bought the headlights, ballasts, wiring, and bulbs. I swapped everything over in 30 minutes on Friday, it was quick and painless and they worked minus the front bulb failure message on the SID. I'm pretty sure getting the tech 2 to switch the settings will take care of that issue. But this is my problem, The lights don't seem all that bright, I mean I think the halogens seemed better than these.

With the high beam shutter open the light is decent but the low beams are pretty terrible. For a while I ran an HID kit in the halogen reflectors and that light up the road like nobodies business. So could it possibly be the bulbs? or is there something else I could be missing? I can't imagine that the low beams could be that bad for something that is supposed to throw the light 3X as far as halogen. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
The low-beam projector HIDs aren't extremely bright, but they actually do a great job a lighting the road in front of you. Its just a really different feeling IMO than halogen lights/reflectors. Its more of a natural glow in front of you, instead of big bright "hot spots" created by the halogens. I always leave my fog lights on (and have them pointed slightly higher, almost matching the low-beams), and that also helps a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
SAABeginner

I have bi-xenons on my '02 9-5 Aero and I think they're no brighter than good halogens. My 900 ha new headlamps and I think they're just as effective as the 9-5's HIDs.

I observe the comparison between my 9-5's lamps and those of other cars when I overtake them on the motorway. The best headlamps I've seen are those on BMW 6-series. They seem to really punch through the darkness.

Why are they called bi-xenons anyway? There's only one HID lamp per side.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I have bi-xenons on my '02 9-5 Aero and I think they're no brighter than good halogens. My 900 ha new headlamps and I think they're just as effective as the 9-5's HIDs.

I observe the comparison between my 9-5's lamps and those of other cars when I overtake them on the motorway. The best headlamps I've seen are those on BMW 6-series. They seem to really punch through the darkness.

Why are they called bi-xenons anyway? There's only one HID lamp per side.
I think this is because of the high and low beam function...

With regard to Xenon's they for the most part are a "for looks" function more so than actual practicality.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

do the 666 mod.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #6

what is the "666 mod" ?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #7

hmm, that is kind of a bummer. Maybe I'll just stick my halogen reflector with the xenon kit back in. I value my night vision and these just didn't seem to cut it....
Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Trollerator
Elder

I have the bixeons and love them. The cooler light temp makes it seem like it's not as bright because they're easier on your eyes, but they definitely throw more light to the edges of the road where halogens don't. This is very important for me since I live out in the country with so many deer always on the side of the road that might jump out at any moment...

the 666 mod is jumping the relay that controls the flash to pass function. you jump pins 87 and 87A I think... and it lets you have BOTH xenon high beam and the halogen high beam at the same time.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 11-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
SAABeginner

Missing something here - surely that would give you full-beam all the time?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Cambiocorsa Send a message via MSN to Cambiocorsa
The mod just allows you to use the halogen "flashers" along with the high-beam xenons, instead of using only the xenons. This only effects high-beam usage.

1999 Saab 9-5 SE Sedan
JakStoll Stage 3+
Old 11-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
do the 666 mod.
Amazing! I've ran with this mod for like 3-4 months and every time i flick my highbeams on, I'm still amazed!

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Sounds like a lot of ta-do for something that is marketed as an upgrade:
"European vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users.

HID headlamp bulb types D1R, D1S, D2R, D2S and 9500 contain the toxic heavy metal mercury. The disposal of mercury-containing vehicle parts is increasingly regulated throughout the world, for example under US EPA regulations. Newer HID bulb designs D3R, D3S, D4R, and D4S contain no mercury, but are not electrically or physically compatible with headlamps designed for previous bulb types.

The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different from the filament light source used in tungsten/halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. Installing HID bulbs in headlamps designed to take filament bulbs results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in