9-5 Dead Fuel Pump - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Cambiocorsa Send a message via MSN to Cambiocorsa
9-5 Dead Fuel Pump

Well last night I went out on a high speed cruise through the nearby mountains with some friends. It was an awesome drive and I was flat out for most of it. We reached the crest and everything was fine, then took it easy on the way down. I only used light throttle at the most on the way down. Just a few miles down though, the car hesitated and jerked slightly on exiting a corner. Taking the next corner, the engine quit. I pulled off to the side and the car refused to start, just cranking uselessly. I then realized that the fuel pump was not priming itself. I flipped up the rear seats and had a friend smack the fuel pump while I tried turned the ignition to "On". Nothing, just silence.

After waiting for hours in the freezing cold in the very early morning, the tow truck finally showed up and took me and my car home. I haven't heard of fuel pumps just giving up the ghost all of a sudden like this, but I guess it happens. Although for the past few months I have been getting a CEL for a gross evap code, apparently there is a loose fitting on the gas tank which lets the vapor escape. I haven't bothered with that. I suppose I'll replace the whole fuel tank and pump now then and solve all the problems. Would it be worth it to buy a high performance fuel pump instead of using a stock one?

And luckily, I haven't received my JSP Stage 3 tune or downpipe yet.....otherwise those would have been installed and I probably would have run way lean on my failing pump. Hopefully I haven't been running too lean on my stock software....I hope the engine is fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 Saab 9-5 SE Sedan
JakStoll Stage 3+
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Elder

That sucks man, good luck with it.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Walbro 255 LPH. Direct fit and the way to go. Oh, thats right, you have it stock on yours. What high performance pump are you referring to? I had to replace my pump too. I did it myself but it still sucked!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93nut View Post
Walbro 255 LPH. Direct fit and the way to go. Oh, thats right, you have it stock on yours. What high performance pump are you referring to? I had to replace my pump too. I did it myself but it still sucked!
x2 I was lucky my tank was about empty when i had to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Cambiocorsa Send a message via MSN to Cambiocorsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
x2 I was lucky my tank was about empty when i had to do it.
Shit....I just remembered that mine is 3/4 full.

1999 Saab 9-5 SE Sedan
JakStoll Stage 3+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in