9-5 Questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
c900 Grognard
Elder

9-5 Questions

So, I'm thinking of buying a 9-5 to replace my c900.

Just kidding! Anyway, my friend has a 2003 9-5 2.3 non/aero (linear?) and he just got his 60k tuneup from a generally well regarded shop. He is not a car guy, so he called me for advice. They said there were several problems that will need to be addressed in the near future:

- Rear struts are going, they *claim* this will reduce rear tire life if it isn't addressed. Not sure if this is the case, but I told him he'd *probably* be ok waiting until they got really stiff.

- Turbo is smoking at startup. I read a little on SC, and it seems his car has the crap GT17 turbo, not the robust TD-04. Bad news!

- a-arm bushings are going, causing the car to "not follow the wheels" very well around corners and the car to pull badly on sidehills/crowned roads.

My questions are really only about the last two.

For the turbo - I understand the td-04 will bolt right up, but that a software change is required. I doubt he will want to go this route, I'm not sure if he trusts ebay enough to order an ecu. Also, it seems that td04's are not readily available. Is anything else required for this swap (injectors maybe)? Is putting in another GT-17 a shortbus move? I understand turbo replacement is dead easy on a 9-5, so I might help him do it (the shop wants I think $1200 or some such nonsense to do it).

For the a-arm bushings - the shop wants $450 for it - what is involved in this job? I'm assuming it's engine-in? Is it something I could do in my gravel driveway on a saturday afternooon, or is it a bear?

Thanks,
Andrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Well definatly ditch the GT17 - call Gold Wings or another yard and track down a T7 TD-04, frome either a Vig or a 9-5 Aero. The swap is straight foward, as simple as replacing the GT17, no injectors are needed and you should be fine running that turbo on stock software, T7 is quite smart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
- Rear struts are going, they *claim* this will reduce rear tire life if it isn't addressed. Not sure if this is the case, but I told him he'd *probably* be ok waiting until they got really stiff.

They are probably leaking fairly decently. Mine did the same at about 100k miles. swap em out for some bilsteins or konis. not too expensive for just the rear shocks from either.

- Turbo is smoking at startup. I read a little on SC, and it seems his car has the crap GT17 turbo, not the robust TD-04. Bad news!

They can usually continue life for some time before they get "really bad".
put a td-04 in for him and dont worry. Many threads on this subject and the coolant line that goes to the side of the head and how to use the stock one safely.

- a-arm bushings are going, causing the car to "not follow the wheels" very well around corners and the car to pull badly on sidehills/crowned roads.

Dip just wrote up something on swapping these out with the powerflex bushings. definitely a do it in your driveway type thing, engine in car.
Hope that helps. BTW a turbo swap should take you about 4-5 hours assuming nothing goes wrong. its easy and straightforward.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6

Old 10-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
c900 Grognard
Elder

Thanks guys, I'll get to researching then

Quote:
Old 10-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Td04's can be had NEW on ebay for $350-450.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221 View Post
Hope that helps. BTW a turbo swap should take you about 4-5 hours assuming nothing goes wrong. its easy and straightforward.

what he said X2

1. My gt 17 went for 90k with puff of smoke on start-up
2. My rears shocks leaked at 50K and I replaced wiht aero kit all around
Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
c900 Grognard
Elder

Hmmm this is looking more and more like a no brainer - it appears that you can use the same fpr on aero's/lpts, they use the same injectors, is there any intake/exhaust difference? I see an aero ecu on ebay, too.

Quote:
Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
engine wise, the ONLY differences between a LPT and Aero are the turbo and ECU.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 10-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #9
c900 Grognard
Elder

Nice, it's weird, though - eeuro lists two different fprs

Quote:
Old 11-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Td04's can be had NEW on ebay for $350-450.
Do you have any leads on one? I am in need of one right now and all I can find is a used one in Fla. for the starting bid of $150.00 and not alot of details, and a rebuilt one from Ca. for $550.00 with a one year warranty. I'm thinking about the warranty one but DAMN! $550.00 HURTS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in